Sometimes help isn't helpful.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Exclamation Sometimes help isn't helpful.

I have a dear friend that loves to see the things I make and talk about sewing, read about sewing, etc. but has never made anything with fabric in her life. (She is a master gardener, but sewing is not her thing). Well, this morning she called me to let me know she had been to an estate sale, and that they had an Elna long arm machine that was marked $75 but they were cutting all prices in half, so did I want the address? Well duh! Of course I did. I was at the address in less than 15 minutes! Imagine my disappointment when the machine turned out to be an old Elna School model. Not a long arm. Tomorrow I am going to meet her for coffee, and show her what a real long arm machine looks like. It's a good thing I like her a lot, or I would have to strangle her for getting my hopes up like that. I actually got dressed and across town in less than15 minutes!

(Does Elna even make a long arm machine?)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

She sounds like a sweetie....and a good friend, she obviously was thinking of you. Ah well, got your heart pounding and your energy up....well done on the time...pretty slick.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 PM

That's kind of funny. People who don't sew...have no clue. One time I saw an ad on our local Craigslist...Black Singer sewing machine in suitcase...Well duh, a FW. Drove about 25 minutes to see the machine. It was a Singer 301 ?? They only wanted $50 for it, but I didn't get it because I didn't know anything about them or any vintage machines at the time. My quilting friends thought I was crazy fro not grabbing it, now I wish I had. I don't think Elna makes a long arm, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM

That's a funny story because I could see the same thing happening to me:> No, Elna doesn't make a vintage long arm.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 PM

People that don't sew don't really understand it all. Oooh a black 301 in suitcase for 50? You lost out that time by not grabbing it and running!

My hubby can't tell one black Singer from another. I would bet any back Singer in a box and he would tell me he say a Featherweight.

Too bad it wasn't a long arm. That would've been sweet!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Banned

I have a neighbor who is my biggest enabler. Every time she sees a machine that she thinks I will like at a thrift store or garage sale she either calls me or comes and gets me to go look at it. Sometimes she finds a good one but usually it's "You drug me down here for that?" Gotta love her though, her heart is in the right place, just like your friend.

Cari
Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 PM

It's the thought that counts and she was at least trying to help. You have a good friend.
Rodney
Old 09-21-2014, 02:16 AM

What a Sweetheart- like Earthwalker said she got your blood pumping and out of your jammies.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 AM

People that don't know vintage machines think they are all alike and so valuable. That's why I see machines on craigslist priced at crazy prices..... the slide plate is gone, no bobbin or case, it doesn't have any attachments and they haven't checked to see if it works because they don't sew.....price $350.

My neighbor called me one day so excited. She found a FW for $20 and wanted me to come over to help her celebrate. When I got there, I had to tell her that the machine was a Singer 66, had missing parts but if she wanted to clean it up and get it to sewing, she'd have a nice machine. It was like she melted. Her smile turned to dispair... I really hated having to let her down. She's still a great friend but doesn't get any great vintage deals without me going with her anymore so I can tell her what she's getting.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
My neighbor called me one day so excited. She found a FW for $20 and wanted me to come over to help her celebrate. When I got there, I had to tell her that the machine was a Singer 66, had missing parts but if she wanted to clean it up and get it to sewing, she'd have a nice machine. It was like she melted. Her smile turned to dispair... I really hated having to let her down. She's still a great friend but doesn't get any great vintage deals without me going with her anymore so I can tell her what she's getting.
Awww how sad. I am laughing but it really is a sad story. On a good note, if she can't tell a Featherweight from a 66 perhaps she won't notice any difference when she's sewing either. 20.00 for a 66 isn't all that bad.