Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sometimes I just don't get it .... >

Sometimes I just don't get it ....

Sometimes I just don't get it ....

Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Sometimes I just don't get it ....

I finally got around to fixing the Polish 834 top tension I asked about in this thread:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t251756.html }

I had broken the stem of the original tension trying to tighten the split part up. Got another one and it didn't work at first.

The original worked, but it had too much tension. Nothing I could do would reduce it.
The replacement had no tension and running it to the tightest didn't help much.

Oh boy ..... another cranky machine.

So using the exploded drawing Farmhousesewer posted on the other thread I figured out how to put it all back together.
I took the replacement tension apart and found the release pin bent. The tension disks were not quite as nice as the originals and the plastic part on the outside was broken. So using parts from both tensions I made one that works.

Yes it now works. When on "0" there is no tension and it loops like mad. When On "3" it sews straight stitches really nice. To do patterns I need to up the tension to "5".

So, it works. It sews. But .... if you tug on the thread with the presser foot up, it feels too tight. And it won't loosen up. Like I said in the other thread I have several machines with that design of top tension and this one just doesn't feel "right". But it works, so I guess I should just count my blessings and use the thing.

I'll let you know when I've made something with it. Poor thing, I haven't even taken any pics of it yet.
I'll have to do that soon.

Joe
Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Joe,

Sometimes I don't get it either! Have a great weekend!

Jeanette
Old 10-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad you got it working.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 AM

I'm glad you got it working. Your instinct that says it isn't right is most likely correct. I don't know that design well enough to give any useful advice but it sounds like there's a minor problem with the parts that release the tension when you raise the presser foot.

Give that one a rest until your mind clears then tackle it again.
Rodney
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 AM

Like Rodney said, sounds like you have a different problem, your tension is fine, but your tension release isn't working.

Try using really old machines that don't have any type of release for a while, then it won't seem "not right"
Old 10-11-2014, 05:56 AM

Actually each part is working as it should. I've mulled it over and what I think I'm feeling is rough guides and thread paths. When I raise the presser foot the tension disks are loose, when lowered they are snug together. So that part is working. When the machine sews the stitches are nicely made. So that part is good.

I think what I'm gonna do is put some polishing rouge on a piece of thread and boot lap the guides. I had to do that on a rusted machine once and it made a big improvement.

Joe
Old 10-11-2014, 06:00 AM

Joe you could be right. I just had that happen with my Elna which has never given me a bit of trouble. I grabbed a thick cotton string and ran it through all the tensions and guides, then changed both the thread and the needle and it was back to normal behavior. I hope it's just that easy for you.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Make a rope out of aluminum foil and rub it on the rough places
Old 10-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Aluminum foil? Hmmm, never thought of that.

Joe
Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Aluminum foil? Hmmm, never thought of that.

Joe
I use it all the time. It will take out rough stuff but won't hurt the metal. Just twist it up a bit then use it to polish