Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Spool 'tip' for antique Singer machines...... >

Spool 'tip' for antique Singer machines......

Spool 'tip' for antique Singer machines......

Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
they should have a way to take a big spool of thread and rewind on a smaller wood spool. they make bobbin winders. so why can't someone come up with a spool winder.. ya think
I thought I'd post this:
http://moonthirty.com/serger-thread-hack/
http://www.intatters.com/archive/index.php/t-8572.html?
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2E1i-4XEg0

I think what I'm going to do is a blend of all of these. I can see using the gutterman spools the way they show in the first link, but i can't see myself using a glue gun on a wood spool.

The second link, the links in the link itself are dead, but there's enough information in the thread itself to figure out what they did.

I have a dremel and a drill here to try with and will try both (my dremel is speed adjustable, so it may work)

Then the YouTube link shows making a somewhat larger "spool winder" using a sewing machine motor, and a shaft and rubber stoppers.

So I'm thinking for proof of concept, I'm going to get a shaft that fits through the center of the spool, and a rubber stopper for each end. I'll put that inside the chuck of the drill or dremel (depending on the width of the shaft) then try to wind the spools. If that works, I'll try to figure out how to attach the SM motor to it, and a foot for speed control...
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I have wondered why you couldn't make a bobbin winder to fit on the motor shaft makes sense - it is kind of out of the way though.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Well,.. so far, I've wound 4 spools of thread. I'm going to start a new topic about it shortly, but basically, the method that the first link uses, with velcro instead of hot glue lets you wind a wood spool without permanent damage. Just hold the top of the spool or it -will- fly across the room.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM

My National Two Spool's winder is for winding thread directly on to the small wooden spools. Never thought about winding small bits of thread on to the wood spools for storage or use on other machines.

Cathy

Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
they should have a way to take a big spool of thread and rewind on a smaller wood spool. they make bobbin winders. so why can't someone come up with a spool winder.. ya think
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM

It might have been one of your posts that made me go looking. I thought about it after I saw a two spools being wound in a thread her on the QB earlier today. I'd love a two spools, but I've never seen one here. The wood spools however, I have a bunch of them, and I like the look and sound of them better. I'm pretty sure my machines prefer them too.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
My National Two Spool's winder is for winding thread directly on to the small wooden spools. Never thought about winding small bits of thread on to the wood spools for storage or use on other machines.

Cathy
Cathy,

Is there any way you could post a video of your Two Spools winding up a spool?

Shari
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM

I can, but not immediately. I'm on Mom duty this weekend and may not get home til next weekend.
I am trying to get home on Sunday. If I do, I'll get a short film for you.

Quicker yet would be for someone who has the machine handy to jump in. Monica/ Vintagemotif are you listening?

Cathy

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
Cathy,

Is there any way you could post a video of your Two Spools winding up a spool?

Shari
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Glenn has a two spools