Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Standard Sewing Machine bobbin winder

Standard Sewing Machine bobbin winder

Maybe I'm missing something but I have not been able to find a tire to make the bobbin winder work. As I was looking around at pictures of other machines like mine I noticed that none of them had a tire. It appears that the winder is lowered onto the belt to activate the winder. Is this correct or am I missing something. The machine is a Paragon, Model P in a treadle cabinet.

I can get them locally and have a couple of the largest ones I could find with the inner diameter needed. The tire would have to be a good 1 1/2 tall and a good 3/4-1" thick to work. I haven't seen any of this size anywhere, even online. There is a small cutout in the cabinet where the belt would run that is wider than the other side. If I swing the winder down it appears to fit perfectly where the belt would run.

Blog Entries
    Take your old tire into Lowes, Home Despot or Ace and see if they can match something for you.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I think you are correct crocee in thinking that some treadles did not have tires, the bobbin winder works with the treadle belt.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Yes, the Standard rides on the treadle belt and does not use an O ring. Most of my treadles are like this, and then the bobbin winder pushes (or pulls) to come in contact with the belt. you can tell by where the "wheel" lines up - most line up with the treadle belt and not a hard surface. I do have a few that the bobbin winder lines up with the flywheel and those use an O ring.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments