Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Standard Treadle with a Coffin Top

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Congrats on the Standard! Here is a link to the difference between the Standard Stout and Slim:
    http://xfossils.com/cintipam/spyder.htm

To work these machines the wheel must rotate away from you, like a White machine. The spider attachment is for chain stitching. These machines produce a lovely straight stitch. Enjoy!
    Thanks for that! After viewing the photos, it seems that I also have a Standard "slim". It does take some getting used to when it comes to sewing, because the handwheel goes backward instead of forward like my Singers. I have been unable to date mine, although the latest patent date on the bobbin cover is 1887, with SN=147788. I think it is safe to say that this machine is likely pre-1900. I have the original manual; it is disintegrating, so I scanned it. If anyone would like a copy, pm me and I will send the pdf.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Great machine and so glad it is in a home where it will be loved and cared for. I just got a white Rotary and last date on it for patent is Sept 10, 1905 and there is one starting in 1890 and 6 total so I am thinking 1905-1908 or so. Still waiting for something back on date, as when I called I finally gave up on the hold after 30 minutes. Did you get tools with it? Also have my grandmothers Singer bought in early 1950's so with two newer sewing machines and two surgers I am at my limit (space very limited). Enjoy and let us know if you find out more. Carol

On Tuesday, I bought a Franklin VS treadle (Scarab version) in a parlor cabinet for $100. I posted about it at the same time I posted about the Standard. Take a look at it. I have my mother's 1940 Featherweight 221, a 1974 Viking 5230, a Viking 1+ embroidery machine, and a 15" Bailey on a Next Generation frame. I got an almost pristine set of tools, about 6 original bobbins and a partial booklet.
    Dolly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2