Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Stitchwell Crank Sewing Machine >

Stitchwell Crank Sewing Machine

Stitchwell Crank Sewing Machine

Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 AM

Default Stitchwell Crank Sewing Machine

I have just purchased a little cast iron Stitchwell Crank Child's Sewing Machine. It is very cute, but when turning the crank, the thread wraps around the hook. It will not form a stitch. I cannot find any instructions online. Sometimes one can find old manuals or instructions.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this machine? I could really use some help. I paid way too much for a machine that doesn't actually stitch.

P.S. I know it is a toy, but it still should work. The seller said it will take a few stitches and then the thread breaks. That is not the case. The thread winds around the hook and jams. Then has to be cut away.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 AM

There are many more knowledgeable people here than I about vintage and antique machines, but I do have a thought. Perhaps it's the needle you are using. I did not have the recommended needle for my treadle when I first got it but found I could use a modern needle if I dropped it down a bit instead of inserting it all the way to the top. It's worth a try!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Kas

And try turning the handle the opposite way you have been turning it.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 PM

You might look for a specific group that collects toy machines. Maybe on Yahoo Groups? I have a cute little Betsy Ross machine that also needs help, but no time right now.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Does it have its tension. Are you threading it correctly. I've been working on my three Betsy Ross today They are cute and wobbly.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 AM

Generally toy machines have issues making a stitch. That is why many of us strongly suggest no one ever buy a toy to teach a child to sew. Rather start with a Singer 99 handcrank. I have a toy Necchi which I have set aside as it is so annoying. There are generally no possible adjustments to be made. In my case I fiddled with the needle and tension and finally got a length of stitching, but would never use it to try to make anything.

Are you using the correct 20x1 needle or did you use a 15x1 and pull it down before securing?