Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Stoked and Dashed all in one afternoon! >

Stoked and Dashed all in one afternoon!

Stoked and Dashed all in one afternoon!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
So what about it won't work? Can you alter the desk to fit machine?
The opening for the machine in the desk is too large for the Singer machines...and I could alter the desk, but all too often I find myself getting angry when I find antiques that have been altered....for example, I found a BEAUTIFUL parlor cabinet the other day...but it had the treadle irons removed, blocks screwed into the sides of the interior to be able to make shelves, and holes drilled in the back to make it into a TV cabinet or stereo cabinet.... :( I was so excited to see it initially, and so disappointed that it was ruined (in my eyes....I'm sure someone was quite happy with their handiwork) This desk isn't an antique, but it's vintage and will hopefully survive to become an antique...I hope to preserve it the way it is...so IF I can figure a way to make it work with my Singer machines, without hurting it in any way, I'll do that....

:)
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I was so stoked today! I've been keeping an eye out for a "new" cabinet for my Singer 201-2 and when I went into the thrift store today there was an AWESOME sewing desk! Dark walnut bottom with a light oak top...the top lifts back and hangs behind the desk while the machine is out...just eyeballing it, I was so sure my machine would fit...got home and was incredibly disappointed that it's not going to!

Back to the drawing board, I guess!! :(
Charlee, I still think you take a trip to Ky and hit the flea and antique shops and you are sure to fine the cabinet for your machine. I found two more odd bobbins I will post pic soon amybe they will fit(these are flat) What is the diameter and depth of the bobbins you need? I will check these two out for you. Glenn
Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 AM

Glenn...I was almost there! :lol: We had a customer call and price a move to Kentucky...told the boss that if she booked, I wanted to go on that trip!! She booked somewhere else, but it would have been a fun one!

I'll get there someday!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 AM

Could a decent handyman adapt it to fit for you? Good luck!

Oops, you've already answered. So sorry for you!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Good luck finding one that fits. I read a review for a sewing machine once where a nitwit gave the machine a bad review because it didn't fit in her cabinet. Guess she didn't read the dimensions.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I know how you feel. It happened to me too. I found a big cabinet with drawers and only measured the distance between the pins that hold the machine in the opening. That matched and whoopee I thought I got a cabinet for the Electro Grand. Nope, the opening was too big. There's a couple of inches on each side of the machine. I may just get some plexiglass and fill in the spaces on each side but haven't done it yet.