Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling to treadle

Struggling to treadle

I bought a Singer 15k treadle from a local charity shop. I've spent all day cleaning it up, I did some trial sewing turning the hand wheel to check it sewed ok, which it did, then I attempted to treadle, something I have never tried before and I just can't do it! I tried without thread and managed ok but with thread I keep going backwards and forwards, snapping the upper thread and generally getting in a mess. Any tips on treadling would be much appreciated.

Clare

I think I may have found my own answer to the problem.

Go away, have a cup of tea, relax and then try again!

I think I've got it now. It's fun.

Clare,

I had the same problems when I started with my Singer 66 treadle. You have to train your feet to move the correct way.
    I did that buy turning the hand wheel as I let me feet sit and feel the treadle plate move under them. Then when I started to move my feet they still couldn't get the rhythm so I got mad and continued turning the hand wheel by hand as my feet fought to get the hang of it.
    A do or die thing. Suddenly, like when you have an epiphany, my feet and brain connected and off I went. It took a couple days to get it down pat but I did it.

Once you get the rhythm you can actually feel the machine and with a glance start it going the right way.

Now, be sure to clean any and all lint, crud and thread out of the treadle pivot points, the pit man shaft socket and bearings and then oil it good. Put paper towels under it, don't be chinchy with the oil. It's probably been a while since it was oiled good.

Joe

Power Poster
    Like Joe, I always start by turning the hand wheel first to get the motion going. After that I'm off to the races. Try to put one foot towards the back and counter balance it with the toe of the other foot. It is kind of like the motion of riding a bike. Try not to operate it by flexing your foot or by tomorrow's your calf muscle will be screaming. Happy treadling!

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Now, be sure to clean any and all lint, crud and thread out of the treadle pivot points, the pit man shaft socket and bearings and then oil it good. Put paper towels under it, don't be chinchy with the oil. It's probably been a while since it was oiled good.

Joe
    Joe, I am hanging my head in shame. I confess that I had not cleaned or oiled the treadle at all in my impatience to get sewing and it was very, very dirty and very clunky indeed. I have now cleaned and thoroughly oiled it - what a difference!

Clare

Tartan,

Thank you for the technique advice. I was flexing my foot!

Clare

practice...it will come...just practice and like you said..relax..it's so much fun!!!

Here's a link for 'treadling' that I have posted previously: http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines...totreadle.html

Muv
    Clare - Go to my Youtube channel and watch "How to Treadle." It's all there, and much easier than explaining in writing.

Thank you for all the help.

Here's my practice pillowcase showing my progress. This shows the bobbin side. I'm hoping to try free motion treadling after lots more practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast