Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Stuck Feed Dog Knob/Buttons??? >

Stuck Feed Dog Knob/Buttons???

Stuck Feed Dog Knob/Buttons???

Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 AM

Rust....cat pee. Just sayin'.

I've seen it.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 AM

Miriam, I can't thank you enough for posting this! I am still learning about my beautiful vintage babies and I hesitate to take anything apart (unless my hubby is sitting right beside me) for fear of breaking it or not being able to reassemble it correctly. Your tutorial will help, the feed dog screw on my 15-91 is getting very difficult to turn, so I guess I need to try to clean off any dried up oil. If you hear loud weeping, you will know I somehow managed to break it and will be asking for help...
Thanks again for doing this!
Old 12-21-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

If that was a newer machine, I would be worried. I'm thinking you could have Wilbur come over and baptize that screw with tri-flow and let her set overnight. Then get a big old tool and crank it - it should free up. I've not had problems with those old ladies - usually the Later ones. Then get those parts cleaned up. I had a really old Singer 15 that took a lot of cleaning - I don't remember what it finally took to get the cruddy oil off but the part freed up fine. It was an early 1900's treadle with badly dried up crud. The house must have been heated with kerosene or coal. Then somebody years ago oiled it a lot and all that old oil must have still been there. But not a spot of rust. I'd rather see dried up oil. Once that machine turned it was wonderful. My neighbor lady's sister bought it.