Stuck needle bar on Singer 27

Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Default Stuck needle bar on Singer 27

Hi,
I'm new to posting but have been lurking quite awhile trying to get through all the great information and stories on here.

I've got a 1902 Singer 27 that is all freed up except the needle bar. I have used PBlaster, tri-flow, heat, kerosene and still can't get it freed up. I tapped on the top and it lowered fairly easy. I stopped before it got down too low to have something to get a hold of on the top.

I've been trying to raise the bar back up by tapping on the bottom of the bar with a block of wood and a hammer. I've been working off and on for a month or so on this and it hasn't raised back up a bit. I can twist on the 1 1/2 or 2" below the head and can see a bit of flexing, but no other movement. It's getting frustrating, the other 27 I got at the same time and also frozen up took very little to free up and sew very well.

I suspect I'm not the first with a similar problem and would welcome any ideas to get it moving again. I haven't stood it in a bucket of kerosene yet, but I'm about to that point, it's had enough time outs I think.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Roger
Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

You aren't the first and you aren't the only one with one still stuck. Mine is a Kenmore 15 clone with the locked up needle bar - I can't even unscrew the little thing that holds it in because it is stuck in a position that I can't access the screw. Mine is in time out. I squirt a little oil on it when I think about it.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM

Sometimes it's not what you think. if the bar got bent just a bit, it may be pinched or wedges in place. At that point, it's not a lubrication issue. My DH was tyring to get a peice off a pin, and he had to file down the pin a bit as someone had given it a tap with a hammer at some point, and deflected the metal just enough that is was no longer straight and true.

The peice would slip off about 1/4 of the way, and at that point the slight bend in the pin would cause enough sideways pressure that it wasn't going to budge farther without something breaking.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Yes, some times just a bend in the needle bar will keep it stuck or not sewing very well. I fear mine is bent or something.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks Miriam and Macybaby.

So if the needle bar might be bent a bit, any suggestions to determine that or get it out? I would like to get it out regardless of it's condition at this point.

Roger
Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

Remove anything you can from the needlebar and anything in the way. Usually there is an arm or something holding the needlebar in place. There should be a set screw in the arm. If you can reach the set screw and pull it out you might be able to tap the needlebar out. From my experience, the needlebar will look more bent when it is out than when it is in. Then you will need a straight needlebar, put everything back and then time the needle with the hook - hard part. The hook has to go behind the eye of the needle as it passes and pull the thread up - yes there is a sweet spot. You might look for an adjuster's manual. The needle bar in my machine has the set screw in a position I can't access. Maybe someone here knows how to do that kind of magic.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by yroger54 View Post
Thanks for any advice you might have.
Roger, I would grab the bottom of the bar with pliers (wrap the bar with a piece of canvas first) and twist it. It'll be obvious if it's bent or just rusted. It's unlikely to be bent unless there are other signs the machine has been dropped (I had one dropped machine about a year ago) but twisting should be sufficient to release the bar from its rusty manacle (one glass of wine on Friday night and I get flowery). If bent, it will be possible to twist it but the pressure required to turn will be inconsistent. If rusted it will just free up and remain so.
I had a 66 about 18 months ago that had a frozen up needlebar. It took a while but it was just rusty and was as good as new within 5 minutes.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 AM
Power Poster

It could be bent if you saw a broken needle & pretty good scars on the needle plate or maybe a piece of really heavy upholstery fabric stuck in there cut off... ask me how I know.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Thanks Mike. I'll see if I can get it to turn. I've only twisted it enough so far to see a tiny bit of flex, but I guess any progress is still progress, good or bad. I don't think it's rust, I think it must be bent.
Miriam, I may have to have Wilbur use his oil and big screwdriver on this. He can fix anything with that right? Way down the line is borrowing your sledge hammer method.

Roger
Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yroger54 View Post
Thanks Mike. I'll see if I can get it to turn. I've only twisted it enough so far to see a tiny bit of flex, but I guess any progress is still progress, good or bad. I don't think it's rust, I think it must be bent.
Miriam, I may have to have Wilbur use his oil and big screwdriver on this. He can fix anything with that right? Way down the line is borrowing your sledge hammer method.

Roger
Well he is convinced.