Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Suggestions for used sewing machine >

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am keeping a list.

Miriam, Since you repair, do you have a recommendation for a machine? Looking for a good, fairly basic, portable, mechanical (I think?), reliable machine with a sturdy base and a front surface piece. I don't really like not having an extra surface in front. My dad can repair the mechanical machines, that's why I am looking at goodwill as well as everywhere else. Any underrated ones that would be less expensive? I'd rather find one that is under 45 years old or so.

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 AM

I'm in CNY, so too far for you. I have a 1530 and a 1540. They are basically the same machine but the 1530 does not have a threader. Both have the IDT, which is a built-in walking foot. This works very well, is easy to engage, and there are many feet to use with it. (Incidentally, Janome and Bernina also have some machines with a built-in walking foot, by various names, but none can compare to the original Pfaff. The Bernina is only on their upper level machines and does NOT work as well. They even suggest that for quilting one use their walking foot [$140-$200 extra]. The Janome works well, but is very difficult to install, and each foot change requires a complete change of screw in foot, not just the bottom snap in part. But I digress....) These Pfaff work well, but are, I guess "lower level"

I also have two 6270 (my favorites), what I call more, "mid=level". There are several others (6250, plus others) with fewer features, but also computerized. I have several newer machines, Bernina and Janome, but none gives me the precise piecing that these Pfaff machines do, and I don't need a ss plate or special foot. I also have a 7530, and a 1222, which I don't care for. All my machines have the IDT. Pfaff made many machines with the IDT and many without, you just have to look at each machine, or ask on here....someone might know. If you have a good photo of the foot at an angle it will be obvious. The 875 does not have it.

Re: the Janome dual feed, my hands are old, arthritic and knarly......folks with better hands might not have the trouble installing the feet that I do. They work well, but are too clunky to do 1/4" accurately, IMHO.

Any more questions?

[QUOTE=Coodoo;7762250]Thanks, I'm in Central New Jersey.

Wintersewer, can you tell me some of the Pfaff models that you like? I was looking for a mid-line model Pfaff... 875?
Can you explain IDT?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of old machines I love. Singers are most common. There are some nice, simple, mechanical non plastic camstack old Japanese machines on either one I like the cams. If you get lucky you can find an old European machine. They are harder to work on than the Japanese or Singer machines. Stay away from plastic wonders - computerized or not. I do like the older Kenmore machines. A good 1980's Kenmore 6, 8, 10 or 12 stitchers are usually good and not too pricy at this point. They are plastic but don't have a lot,of issues. The more complicated the less I like them. Kenmore's with bigger numbers are nice but I've had issues with reverse sticking.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM

I just wrote to inquire about a Pfaff Hobbymatic 955...asking $125. Looks to be in great condition. It has the IDT. I hope it's still available.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM

That Pfaff was sold... I wish people would delete posts on Craigslist when the item is sold!
Old 02-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Default Not Hobbymatics

Originally Posted by Coodoo View Post
I just wrote to inquire about a Pfaff Hobbymatic 955...asking $125. Looks to be in great condition. It has the IDT. I hope it's still available.
Among the Pfaffs, Hobbymatics are considered a secondary line, and they don't hold up as well as the first string Pfaffs, though others might disagree. I have a Pfaff Creative and an old Pfaff 360 that I love, but I wouldn't buy a Hobby.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Okay, good to know. Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I am very fond of my Pfaff 1471 . It is comparatively lightweight for carrying.

I am also fond of the Singer 237 - i think it is an early 1960s model. It has forward and reverse , three needle positions, and zigzag. It can handle heavy weight denim. However, it is quite heavy. It is a plain jane machine, but also easy to operate.

As far S i know, any of the mechanical Berninas whose model number ends with 30 is apt to be a good machine.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 PM

I'm not sure you're correct about that. If it has the IDT, I think it's considered, "first string". Maybe someone who really knows will chime in here. Or you could join the Pfaff Yahoo group and ask there.

Originally Posted by PatriciaPf View Post
Among the Pfaffs, Hobbymatics are considered a secondary line, and they don't hold up as well as the first string Pfaffs, though others might disagree. I have a Pfaff Creative and an old Pfaff 360 that I love, but I wouldn't buy a Hobby.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a lot of old machines I love. Singers are most common. There are some nice, simple, mechanical non plastic camstack old Japanese machines on either one I like the cams. If you get lucky you can find an old European machine. They are harder to work on than the Japanese or Singer machines. Stay away from plastic wonders - computerized or not. I do like the older Kenmore machines. A good 1980's Kenmore 6, 8, 10 or 12 stitchers are usually good and not too pricy at this point. They are plastic but don't have a lot,of issues. The more complicated the less I like them. Kenmore's with bigger numbers are nice but I've had issues with reverse sticking.
What do you think of this one?
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auction...-37048382.html
I can't determine if it was made in Japan.