Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Switching out foot controllers??? >

Switching out foot controllers???

Switching out foot controllers???

Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Switching out foot controllers???

Joe or whoever isn't afraid of electricity, can I switch the foot controller from a Touch and Sew 639 to a 301? My foot doesn't like the configuration of the 301 - it would rather have the bigger one from the 639. The T & S controller doesn't appear to come apart easily so I think the easiest way would be to just do a splice in the cord. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? I do not want to hurt my 301. The T & S is going to the dumpster after I pirate any usable parts. I may keep the plastic case to protect my extra 301 - the one that arrived with the broken case. Anyone need any other easily accessible parts? This is one of the ones that fills the bobbin while the machine is threaded and something just isn't right with that part so it won't sew and I'm tired of looking at it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Instead of cutting and splicing can you trace the cords back to where they connect to the machines and take them apart there? Splicing will work but never looks good to me.
Rodney
Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 AM

The 301 and the Touch-and Sew machines have a molded plug that goes into the side of the machine. The hard part would likely be finding out which wire performs what function.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM

irishrose,

Yes you can splice the wires, but I agree with Rodney it don't look too good. An easier way might be to buy one of the electronic controllers Sew-Classic or others sell and put it in place of the existing one on your 301. Then you can sell or use the other cord set/controller for trade stock.

I'm not sure which controllers you have, but if your T&S has the clam shell one it opens up with one screw up through the bottom. If it's not been cut, feel for a hole under the foam pad on the bottom. Make an "X" cut and then unscrew the screw. The clam will open up and you'll be able to see and remove the two screws that hold the wires to it. It's not that hard to do.

If you have another design of controller they "usually" come apart to replace the wiring. Some you have to pry open with a screw driver though.

Joe
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM

I'm not touching that 3 pin plug on the side of the 301. It shorted out and it took two men at the local repair shop to get it back together. I don't even move the machine any more. I will sit on the floor to switch the controller!!!

Joe, I will look more closely at it now that you've said it's possible. I don't want any stock. Anything I don't use is out of here.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 AM

A simple 3 pin plug took two men to fix? Ewww, I'm not sure they'd ever see any of my machines again. All it takes is a simple wiring diagram and some common sense to fix that. Even I can do it ... .

I just looked at our T&S 7?? and it has an electronic controller. It requires a screw driver to pry the two halves apart at the wide end. How it's connected inside I don't know. Probably two screws like the rest of them.

Joe
Old 11-30-2013, 11:28 AM

Does anyone know if the 3-pin foot controller from a Singer Touch and Sew 778 would be compatible with a 301? If so, I would probably sell the 639 as a parts machine and use the proceeds to buy a 778 foot controller.

I wouldn't go through all the trouble to splice the cord if the plug is bad.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Mark,

I'm pretty sure the plug ends are a different design.

Joe
Old 11-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Joe, it was just a matter of space. Four wires and three pins with a very tight fit - that's the only reason I couldn't get it alone. The Janome salesman who doesn't care for vintage told me that two wires couldn't fit on one pin. Luckily, I had a printout of the Singer schematics with me. The retired repairman who only works part time wouldn't have had an issue.

I just saw the retired one at a store. I almost asked him if he wanted the machine. He could fix it - he has told me how. I just need it out of here now.

Mark, there's no market for a parts machine around here.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 AM

I have a terrible time sewing with the "button" type controllers. All of my FW's and my four 301's have new style foot controllers from Sew Classic, Nova Montgomery or April's 1930's. I also ALWAYS unplug my machines when they are not in use. I keep the original controllers, just in case I ever decide to sell.