Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Tabletop Kenmore--questions to ask >

Tabletop Kenmore--questions to ask

Tabletop Kenmore--questions to ask

Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Tabletop Kenmore--questions to ask

This ad has been on my local Craigslist radar for a few weeks. I've never bought a 3/4 size machine. What are the advantages and disadvantages to a machine like this? Is the Kenmore loud? How does it compare to the the FW, which I want to get someday?Any "red flag" issues on this I should be aware of?
I don't know a whole lot about vintage machines except that I like them, and I am fond of Kenmores in general.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 PM

I don't know that it is a 3/4 size machine.

That said, I had a White 77 that operated the same way, and it was fairly quiet, and there weren't really any negatives.

They are really nothing like a Featherweight.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:00 PM

I used my 3/4 Singer 99 for years and had no idea that it is smaller than full size machines. I don't see a down side at all, quite to the contrary, they are cute(r).
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 AM

That is a White made machine. It is a 3/4 size when compared to other White made machines of it's time, but I still consider them to be a full sized machine.
The only thing noisy about them is the friction drive wheel. When left to sit against the hand wheel for a long time they take a permanent flat spot. Then it makes a noise every time that flat spot hits the hand wheel. That can be very loud.
With a smooth drive wheel they are pretty quiet.
I either replace or grind down the drive wheel on mine till they are smooth, then I use half a clothes pin to hold the motor slightly away from the hand wheel. The friction drive does not flat spot then.

The only negative for some is that the hand wheel rotates opposite what the Singers do. Nuther words it rotates clockwise. Takes some getting used to.

Accessories are fairly easy to acquire and they are easy to service. Bobbins and needles are no problem either.

Joe
Old 12-31-2014, 06:21 AM

I have a White-made Kenmore that's a close relative of this machine. It sews really well. I found the finish ugly at first (I bought it for the cabinet, mostly) but it's really grown on me! Mine had a worn & loud drive wheel like Joe mentioned but it was cheap & easy to replace with a new one that I bought online and now it's pretty quiet.

I think it's neat that the wheel goes the other way, makes it a little "different". That and that brown crinkle finish make it a unique machine in my "collection".

I like the angles on this one, too. No idea on the FW comparison though, sorry.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

For $60 doesn't seem so bad. close enough you can test drive it? I always keep a piece of 10x10 denim in my purse. Never know when you'll want to test drive a machine.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:27 PM

I don't think that's a 3/4 size machine. i might be wrong but the styling can be a bit deceptive with Whites of those years.
Rodney
Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 PM

Rodney,

If you compare it to an actual full sized White made machine of that vintage it is a 3/4 size machine. If you compare it to others it's darn near full sized. Matter of fact I do consider them full sized regardless of what they are.

Joe