Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
talk to me about timing, please >

talk to me about timing, please

talk to me about timing, please

Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Good. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. It is good to check everything else before you do the timing - I've very seldom found timing to be an issue. I would encourage any one reading this to exhaust other ideas first - specially if this is a machine you have been using. They just don't magically go out of time.
Well, I somewhat have to agree an disagree. I've picked up several machines where the timing is off and it won't sew. Hence the reason the prior owner was selling it. "It's broken"....Nope, just needed re-timing. And I know machines go off time frequently after hitting pins or other obstacles. But, I do agree to exhaust other options before tackling it because odds are it's something else causing the problem.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Well, I somewhat have to agree an disagree. I've picked up several machines where the timing is off and it won't sew. Hence the reason the prior owner was selling it. "It's broken"....Nope, just needed re-timing. And I know machines go off time frequently after hitting pins or other obstacles. But, I do agree to exhaust other options before tackling it because odds are it's something else causing the problem.
As I said, "I would encourage any one reading this to exhaust other ideas first - specially if this is a machine you have been using. They just don't magically go out of time." I have gotten machines cheap because they were out of timing. I presume someone didn't know where else to start on fixing it when it could have been something else all along. I have caused machines to go out of timing. 1) I put a high shank foot on a machine that wasn't a high shank machine - the pressure foot snapped down and out she went. 2) I have an industrial machine - it is very high speed - when thread gets wrapped around the shuttle I have to take it off and clean out the thread - it just doesn't come out easy on that machine - you are talking a lot of power. Then it always takes work to get it back together and timed. I've had it take a month. I would work on it awhile and quit out of frustration, pick up again and one day it all come to me... 3) I have had to remove a bent shaft and replace it. Had to time it when I did that. I've bought machines that were out of timing for what ever reason. Then I have one that went out of time because I was stupid. This was a machine that had a good coating of 3 in 1 oil on it... (never use that stuff) I cleaned off the needle bar real good and oiled it up real good - it's the one I tested with the high shank foot... Well it got too slick for the set screw to hold. I had to get that oil off before it would stay in time. I have seen a few machines with the needle bar turned funny so had to turn them right and make sure it stayed in time or re-time it. Candace, once you've done the same machine over and over in a week you get pretty fast at it - it is a frustrating job to do though - often times the screw can't be reached at the same time the needle is set in the right place. I've not had one go off timing by hitting a pin - usually breaks the needle and it flies in my face.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM

As I said, "I would encourage any one reading this to exhaust other ideas first - specially if this is a machine you have been using. They just don't magically go out of time." I have gotten machines cheap because they were out of timing. I presume someone didn't know where else to start on fixing it when it could have been something else all along. I have caused machines to go out of timing. 1) I put a high shank foot on a machine that wasn't a high shank machine - the pressure foot snapped down and out she went. 2) I have an industrial machine - it is very high speed - when thread gets wrapped around the shuttle I have to take it off and clean out the thread - it just doesn't come out easy on that machine - you are talking a lot of power. Then it always takes work to get it back together and timed. I've had it take a month. I would work on it awhile and quit out of frustration, pick up again and one day it all come to me... 3) I have had to remove a bent shaft and replace it. Had to time it when I did that. I've bought machines that were out of timing for what ever reason. Then I have one that went out of time because I was stupid. This was a machine that had a good coating of 3 in 1 oil on it... (never use that stuff) I cleaned off the needle bar real good and oiled it up real good - it's the one I tested with the high shank foot... Well it got too slick for the set screw to hold. I had to get that oil off before it would stay in time. I have seen a few machines with the needle bar turned funny so had to turn them right and make sure it stayed in time or re-time it. Candace, once you've done the same machine over and over in a week you get pretty fast at it - it is a frustrating job to do though - often times the screw can't be reached at the same time the needle is set in the right place. I've not had one go off timing by hitting a pin - usually breaks the needle and it flies in my face.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has these jobs take a while. I've not had to re-time the same machine more than once, so I've not gotten to that assembly line stage:> Newer machines timing go off from hitting pins much easier than the vintage machines.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has these jobs take a while. I've not had to re-time the same machine more than once, so I've not gotten to that assembly line stage:> Newer machines timing go off from hitting pins much easier than the vintage machines.
I would have to agree - some of those old machines have never been re-timed - they are pretty well made and can handle most anything unless you get stupid. I do remove pins as I go most of the time - with my big industrial I use glue to tack in the middle or I use clips along the edges. You learn to do what you have to don't you? One time my industrial machine went out of time because it got too cold. It was in a pole barn I had for a shop. The thing set all winter and when I cranked it up it clattered and clunked and I had a mess - thread all over the place and the shuttle was off it's set screw. That was the time it took me a month to get it put back. I tried to just stick it on there and screw it down. I should have pulled the whole thing out and started from scratch... hind sight. Now if it has been setting around, I check to see if those 2 screws are very tight. Kind of like oiling up after a machine has been setting. Always a good idea. 3 in 1 oil all dried on and gummed up could cause a machine to go out of time I'm thinking.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Only if it is really out of time or you will still have the problem
Miriam...if you had read my post, I did advise her to make sure that the machine was actually out of time before she timed it, and advised her on how to do that.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 AM

Timing can be thrown off from something as simple as a birds nest on some of these newer machines...it doesn't take much. On the older machines, the set screws can loosen and the timing will change just from use.
If you are the type of person that cannot loosen a screw, then by all means, do send it out. If you do not understand the difference between a timing issue and a bent needle bar, then you should send your machine out for repair. I have timed machines since I've been 11 years old( my Dad had an authorized repair shop for over 40 years), and it is a simple procedure that takes only a few minutes for a person with a basic knowledge of their sewing machine. Candace asked how to time it, I answered her...it was up to her to decide if she had the confidence and ability to do it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

some of us have had to learn in the school of hard knocks on a low budget
Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 AM

have read these posts with great interest and have learned a bit more , which has been useful as I am having a hook timing problem. Everything else has been exhausted.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I think I did a tutorial on this somewhere http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t147275.html ah here is it - links and videos if you need to time it - I do everything but time it first
That timing video on the bottom of the page is gone.
Here is another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfCy...eature=related this one is better anyway.
You will also need the second one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE2um...eature=related

or you can search Utube for sewing machine timing