Tantalizing story

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Tantalizing story

I went over to a friend's house the other day to look at her sewing machine. As we were leaving, her husband said, "Oh, you would like to talk with this friend of ours. She lives upstate somewhere. Do you remember her name, dear? No? Well, anyway, she just loved fixing up old sewing machines. Collected them for years...she had a whole barn full of them. We haven't seen her for what, ten or twenty years? I bet she'd like to get rid of some of them. Wish I could remember what town that was. I wonder if she's still living..."

Aaaaaaaaaah!! Just have to hope his memory is like mine and maybe it will roll around again someday to a name or a place. Upstate New York is a big area to cover going door to door.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Yikes, that is going to drive you crazy! Just think of all those Featherweights stored someplace.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:28 PM

H aha ha... Afew years ago, a guy said rod ( the son ) was telling him of the machines his dad has ( fred)

Now fred is an old junker, he tosses nothing out. in about 1986/7, ol fred had a junk sale, I stopped by, talking to Fred about the old days. He lived by me back then, when I was maybe 12 years old Fred sold me my first car ( $25. 1941 mercury 4 door )

So

Old Fred just had to take me on a tour of his and the wifes junk collection. we're talking barn huge chicken coop. a school bus full of dolls.

And then

an other schools with shelf's window high. packed with old sewing machines and bee's. Fred keep telling me to get up in there and look. between the Bee's a 98 degree day and climbing over top all those machines . I passed on that .. now remember what I saw, there had to have been 15/20 machines with the curved style arm. everything else was black and gold.

Now we go to a smaller chicken coop where he had the good ones. LOLOL.... ok good means in cabinets.

yes there were afew white box machines, again who knows how many treadles were in there . alot.

welp fred got old, son cleaned up the property.. school buses, and anything metal went to the scrap yard

This happened about a year before scrap prices went sky high.

fred is now 90+ lives in a new double wide, the old house is still there and still full of junk, The type of people that only have trails through the junk inside the house.

you know very well that place is packed full of treasures
Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Champanier View Post
I went over to a friend's house the other day to look at her sewing machine. As we were leaving, her husband said, "Oh, you would like to talk with this friend of ours. She lives upstate somewhere. Do you remember her name, dear? No? Well, anyway, she just loved fixing up old sewing machines. Collected them for years...she had a whole barn full of them. We haven't seen her for what, ten or twenty years? I bet she'd like to get rid of some of them. Wish I could remember what town that was. I wonder if she's still living..."

Aaaaaaaaaah!! Just have to hope his memory is like mine and maybe it will roll around again someday to a name or a place. Upstate New York is a big area to cover going door to door.
Watch the person be you!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Watch the person be you!
Ow, my sides!

Isn't mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com in upper NY state or so? And has at least one other partner-in-crime who also collects and restores? Try giving their names to your friend and see what it sparks.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
And then

an other schools with shelf's window high. packed with old sewing machines and bee's. Fred keep telling me to get up in there and look. between the Bee's a 98 degree day and climbing over top all those machines . I passed on that .. now remember what I saw, there had to have been 15/20 machines with the curved style arm. everything else was black and gold.

Now we go to a smaller chicken coop where he had the good ones. LOLOL.... ok good means in cabinets.
What a great story! Love the imahe of crawling over sewing machines and bees!