Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which templates came standard with the singer buttonholer? >

Which templates came standard with the singer buttonholer?

Which templates came standard with the singer buttonholer?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Default Which templates came standard with the singer buttonholer?

Hi. I have 3 singer buttonholers.... short shank. But I have a variety of templates... some straight, some keyhole, etc. I want to know which ones came standard with the buttonholer attachment. I know you could buy additional templates because I have seen some on eBay. Some are kinda expensive... others pretty cheap. I'd really like to have an eyelet template. Don't ask my why.... just because I don't have one of those, I guess.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Standard
1 1/16 straight
1 1/16 Keyhole
13/16 straight
5/8 straight
5/16 straight

BTW - my source is the INSTRUCTION MANUAL - it says what it comes with.

Usually one is stored inside the unit and four in holder in the box

Then there is the box of four (these also came in individual boxes)
3/8 straight
1/2 straight
5/8 Keyhole
15/16 straight

you can also get the Eyelet - (it's got a hole in it to tell it from the 3/8" straight)

I think the plastic cams came in 11 sizes - standard with the buttonholer. I'd have to go back upstairs and count to be sure.

So far, I've not seen any other sizes of the metal cams.

You will find units in all sorts of price ranges on ebay. Best deals are ones that come with several items. People get stupid and will by $20 three times for three items, but won't pay $40 once for the same three items in one lot.

AND - don't get sucked into the "Fits a FW" marketing hype. All low shank ones fit the FW - but if the sellers says "FW" in the add, often buyers who don't know better will pay more. I don't know if the black cases were made specifically for the FW machines - but I do know that the unit inside the black case is the same as the unit inside the green case.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Cathy. I knew you would be the one to come to my aide. I plan to put together a set for my summer cabin, a set for our winter spot and then, give a set to my SIL. While she was visiting this summer, she used one that I had at the cabin and ever since, she's been looking for a set...... I have a set for her. I just want to put the correct templates in it and I don't think I have a manual for any of the ones I have.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Jean, you can download the buttonholer manual here (scroll down below machine manuals):

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html

I have 5 buttonholes at last count, no 6 (one is a side-clamp Kenmore that didn't fit my 117-959) and they were all different as to the templates they came with. I think people got the seperate set but then mixed them all up. I think all of mine have a complete set now. I have one of the eyelet cam (in it's own little box) that came with a slant-shank buttonholer in the pink jetson case. I don't think anyone else spotted it in the picture. I got them cheap together, where as I've seen the eyelet cam can go for $20 by itself.

Last edited by Skyangel; 12-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Skyangel - I've got two eyelet cams, and with both I paid less for the whole lot of goods than the eyelet along will sell for. Funny how so many people don't seem to know how to "search" so if what they want does not show up in the title, they never find it.

Though it does take time to find the deals, and if someone has more money than available time, it may be worth it to them to get what they want and be done. I know there are days I sure feel that way!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM

I have a Greist 8 pack of plastic cams in my collection. Although not branded as Singer they are identical to those Singer sold and will fit the Singer Button Hollers.

It comes with:
1" Straight
15/16" Straight
7/8" Keyhole
7/8" Straight
5/8" Keyhole
1/2" Straight
3/8" Straight
Eyelet

Joe
Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM

So it doesn't matter if the buttonholer is a short shank or a slanted one? The templates are all the same? .... even the Greist ones? I figured I'd try to find metal cams. I've never worked with the plastic ones.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Most of them are the same. There are some sold by Sears that use square cams, some with built in cams and some that use half cams.
But the low and slant shank ones made by Greist and Singer use the same cams.

Joe
Old 12-19-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Most of them are the same. There are some sold by Sears that use square cams, some with built in cams and some that use half cams.
But the low and slant shank ones made by Greist and Singer use the same cams.

Joe
There are also some Greist-made Kenmore buttonholers that are just like Singer & Greist buttonholers. And they sold complete (including eyelet) sets of cams on a card. I've bought a metal set & a plastic set on ebay ....dirt cheap. Apparently people see "Kenmore" & assume they only fit Kenmore.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Pat,

Could you post a pic of those Kenmore button hollers? I've got several types of Kenmore BH but not with the cams on cards. I've got a couple that use rectangular strips with different patterns but those are Kenmore only.
Ahhh something else to look for ... .

Joe