Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Temps., high and low, for storing machines? >

Temps., high and low, for storing machines?

Temps., high and low, for storing machines?

Old 02-08-2015, 03:51 PM

Yes CD they will fair better in a shed or garage than a landfil. Although I am afraid that these collectors who think they are saving the machines and keeping them in a garage or shed that is not climate control. They usually never get around to fixing them up to use and re-home. What do you think will happen to all these machines in storage when the owners leave this world?? Will the family keep them or get rid of them?? I wonder if we are going to save them lets save them to be used and pass them on to people who need a machine.
Skip
Old 02-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Yes CD they will fair better in a shed or garage than a landfil. Although I am afraid that these collectors who think they are saving the machines and keeping them in a garage or shed that is not climate control. They usually never get around to fixing them up to use and re-home. What do you think will happen to all these machines in storage when the owners leave this world?? Will the family keep them or get rid of them?? I wonder if we are going to save them lets save them to be used and pass them on to people who need a machine.
Skip
Well said - keep the machines working if possible.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:31 AM
KLO

Thanks for all the great info. I know that moisture is probably the worse thing for machines but I did not realize how moisture can show up in certain places. I always keep a scrap of fabric under my foot between the foot and the plate. Did not realize that it can cause a problem. I will be headed out to the studio today and the first thing I will do is pull out those scraps from any/all machines. And yes, you guys/gals are so right ..... the machines need to be used and passed on to others if they are not. I have a couple more that I should do that with but some will stay with me. Haven't used my two teadles in a long time so I should get them oiled and humming. Still need some re-organizing after a not too distant move and house rehabing. Thanks for all the discussion on this subject. I am now so much more informed and that is never or at least hardly ever a bad thing.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 AM

I have always thought a piece of felt under the foot prevented rust on the needle plate. Great info on this site. I will be removing all of my felt scraps this morning.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

My sewing room also doubles as my vanity room. Actually, blowing my hair dry. my machines are always up. I have them covered when not in use. I usually have a couple projects or have just fiddled with the machines. Anyway, While doing something else I keep them covered. I use the vinyl tablecloths and they cover a large space. I save the moisture absorbing packets you find in medication and vitamin bottles and some shoe boxes. Keeping those nearby or right at the machines help.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:29 AM

Great info! Thanks! I am very concerned about this as my storage space is so limited. I have a 2 in the garage that are waiting for my attention this Spring and then they will be moved inside after cleanup.

I was told to store the machines with the presser foot in the "up" position to avoid rusting problems - is this a good recommendation?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sjdal View Post
I have always thought a piece of felt under the foot prevented rust on the needle plate. Great info on this site. I will be removing all of my felt scraps this morning.
I've always had the habit of leaving the foot up - no contact with the feed dogs and no fabric under there either.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned

A general rule of thumb is sewing machines store well any place humans would "store well"

Attics get Extremely hot, basements get extremely cold. few folks would want to live in a basement or attic. Most primary dwelling spaces are moisture "managed" but most outlying spaces are not.

The older the machine, the more sensitive the finish is. 10x was spot on about shellac vs enamel.

Really old machines have polished steel components, vintage machines tend to be nickle plated, while newer machines typically have hard chrome finish to the metal bits. ALL of that makes a difference in its requirements for care and longevity.

Dull metal rusts easier than polished metal, polished metal resists rust better than brushed or satin finish metal due to the reduced surface area of polished metal
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 AM

What an educational read this has been this morning. Thanks for all the good advice. I do have some older (black) machines out in my sewing room, uncovered and unprotected, but for the most part I was kinda aware of how to store them when not in use. I did not know about the fabric under the presser foot, though. That will be checked into in the next few days.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Another good idea is to releive some the tension on the presser foot spring by by turning the adjuster out on top of the machine. And yes always the presser foot up. Steve is right on, if you are comfortable the machine will be to.