Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: tension on 66-16

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
    I believe it was Joe who told me I could do this. After I took apart and reassembled my 66, I thought the upper tension was very questionable. I was thinking about replacing the whole assembly. I decided to replace my older tension assembly with one of the newer numbered tension assemblies. Joe said it would work because the casting didn't change, only the upper tension assembly was different. I've ordered one and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

The upper tension on my machine wouldn't hold. It would sew perfectly for a while and then fail.
    I wonder if the screw that seats the whole thing came loose.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

No, that wasn't it. I have no idea why it did what it did but I took the whole thing apart quite a few times looking for problems.

How are the threads on the tension assembly? It seems like the only way an "old school" tensioner would loosen off is if the threads are stripped. (possibly inside the nut instead of the post, if the post looks good?)
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    How are the threads on the tension assembly? It seems like the only way an "old school" tensioner would loosen off is if the threads are stripped. (possibly inside the nut instead of the post, if the post looks good?)
    there, too
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I have had several machines that the tension adjusting knob would loosen as I sewed with them. To cure that I'd disassemble them and spread the two fingers of the threaded shaft apart until the adjusting knob was a tight friction fit. After that they held their settings.

Joe

OH! *face palm!* You know, the last 2 machines I tuned up, I had to actually squish them a little, just to get the nuts on without cross threading them. I've had to spread them in the past too.

I should have thought about that. It's a really good possibility.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

I had a tiny spot of a rustlike substance on the inside of the tension disk. It contantly unscrewed the thread tension. I took an fine nail file and then coated it with clear fingernail polish. Once put back together it works fine now.
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2