Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tension on 66-16

tension on 66-16

Hi all, I'm sure this question has been discussed to death, but I hope y'all will answer it anyway. I cannot get the tension right on my machine. She sews ok at first and then she won't . I get a birds nest. I rethread, redo the bobbin, and try to adjust the tension discs, but no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
    Also, does it matter which way the needle is put in? I know to thread from left to right, but the flat side on the needle goes to the right? I don't know. Thanks in advance. Gina

Are the tension discs spooned together or are they flat side to flat side? It also does matter which way the needle goes, but it sounds like you have that right. I just got one of mine out of the shop because I couldn't get the tension right. They SMG said he had a hard time doing it, as well. I think you just have to play wth it. It sews great now. Gotta love the old ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    Hi all, I'm sure this question has been discussed to death, but I hope y'all will answer it anyway. I cannot get the tension right on my machine. She sews ok at first and then she won't . I get a birds nest. I rethread, redo the bobbin, and try to adjust the tension discs, but no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
    Also,does it matter which way the needle is put ind? I know to thread from left to right, but the flat side on the needle goes to the right? I don't know. Thanks in advance. Gina
    Indeed it does: Flat side of needle to the right - thread left to right.

mike'sgirl,

Go here: { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual } Download and print all the sections.

Everything you need to fix the top and bottom tensions on 66's and others is right there.

Most likely the top tensions just need cleaned and adjusted.

Joe

I've also had 2 99s now that have needed the tension spring on the bobbin case replaced. That will make you pull your hair out. In my case , the tension fluctuated and was very hard to pin down. I suspect it's from trying to sew with thread that's way too heavy. It's not a bad idea to clean out the tension area of the bobbin case too. I regularly find tiny hardened duct bunnies in there.

Which tension assembly do you have? The one with the external spring, or or one with numbers? I have to clean up a 66 this week, and can post some pics if needed.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I have to clean up a 66 this week, and can post some pics if needed.
    Please do!

Ok,.. so I'm losing my mind. Why don't I just point you to the thread I started a while back and see if it helps you get to the bottom of it:
    Things I learned or remembered while servicing the 99 twins - Very Long!
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and information. I will try and work with her some more. I do like the way she sews when she sews,lol. Gina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    mike'sgirl,

Go here: { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual } Download and print all the sections.

Everything you need to fix the top and bottom tensions on 66's and others is right there.

Most likely the top tensions just need cleaned and adjusted.

Joe
    What Joe said - that manual is wonderful

I printed out the info on tensions and enlarged the pages I needed.
    When I get a tension that has issues like that I take it apart, clean it and put it back together. Once you have done it, it isn't too hard. Seems like that solves 95% of the time. You also may need spring for the thread - I've seen them bent, broken, over oiled or rusted - sew-classic has them for not too much - get a handfull of her bobbins while you are at it.
    Last edited by miriam; 01-24-2013 at 03:15 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I believe it was Joe who told me I could do this. After I took apart and reassembled my 66, I thought the upper tension was very questionable. I was thinking about replacing the whole assembly. I decided to replace my older tension assembly with one of the newer numbered tension assemblies. Joe said it would work because the casting didn't change, only the upper tension assembly was different. I've ordered one and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

The upper tension on my machine wouldn't hold. It would sew perfectly for a while and then fail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast