Tension dial

Old 12-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Default Tension dial

I think I did it??!?!!
Attached Thumbnails dsci0546.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I think I did it??!?!!
Yes, the photo worked! This link shows good information about tension assembly, but I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will be able to tell you if it's the right way for your machine.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...80642063,d.aWw

Here's a shorter version of the link: https://tinyurl.com/o3ftckv
Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Yes I have seen that,,,,but as the picture shows, my dial isn't like that.I don't know how to get it off...I sure hope someone has seen this kind of dial and knows how to get it off!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

What part of it are you trying to get off?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

After reading both of your posts and now seeing the pic, you're having trouble with this because it's not the original. it may or may not come off like an original would.

Cari
Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

I'm having trouble figuring out if you are wanting to take the end of the tension off or the whole tension off. If you are wanting to take the end off why? Did you put that tension on it or did the machine come that way? Did you have a service man put that tension on it? I need more information.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM

That is the way I bought it, back in 1962...I am wanting to replace the whole dial with a different dial. My thinking was, it would be easier to do that, then to take it apart??!?! When I sew with it, it will go about 2in. then it will loup underneath. The top looks ok, so I don't know it's happening. It's been looked at my several shops...
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

It is super easy to take the whole thing off. There is a set screw inside the side door turn it loose and pull the tension out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501948[/ATTACH]
It looks like one of the old stock replacement tensions - your problem may not be the tension at all - do you have one you can pull off another machine and test on there? I fought with one last winter. Not even a tension off another machine fixed it. There are springs that hold the bobbin holder in place and thread passes through there - if they are not set right you will not get a good stitch. The bobbin tension can also be set by tightening or loosening the spring on the bobbin holder. Some times those need to be cleaned out. I have also seen a tension post pin with so much dried up oil in there it didn't allow the tension pin to work freely. There could also be a burr or dried up oil somewhere on the thread path. The tensions that came on those machines are tricky to rebuild. There isn't a very clear manual pic of them either. You may be happier if you found a 401 tension to go on there if you aren't worried about how it looks. When you adjust the tension make it as loose as it will go. Then stitch. See how it looks, you can tighten it a little, check and tighten until you are happy with it. I wish I could help you rebuild one but it would be a stretch to do it through a computer screen.
Attached Thumbnails tension-001.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 12-09-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM

That's what I needed to know, just remove the hole thing. I have a replacement tension dial another board member sent me, so I'm just going to replace the whole thing. I keep the machine real cleaned and oiled, so don't think that would be the problem,,,we'll see. Thanks
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

if that doesn't fix it let me know