And then there were 14

Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 AM

Default And then there were 14

I still say it's 13, but the DH says until I actually sell / part out the "spare" 99, it's part of the herd.

Anyway, I mentioned in the buttonholer thread that I was picking up a machine today. This makes the 14th machine, and the 11th in the last 7 months.

Hi. My name's Tammi, aka ArchaicArcane, and I have a sewing machine addiction.

The machine and its accessories were very well cared for. It's still going to get a full once over, probably tomorrow, but completeness of the accessories box, and the fact that it really only required a wipe down (as opposed to the cobwebs and really creepy bugs I pulled out of the 15-90) makes it the best condition I've come across so far.

Usually I go for the black machines, but the DH seems to be taken with this machine, so maybe now that we have one, I can get him sewing his own damn buttons on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349915[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349916[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4339.jpg   img_4345.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Tammi,

If your DH is "taken with this machine", I'm flat slobbering over it. That is a gorgeous haul if ever I saw one.
With all the Singers we have we don't have a single singer oil bottle. Nor do we have a Singer Slant Stitch button holler in the pink egg case.
The set up you have there is what I'd like to do with my 401A.

As far as buttons go, I've been sewing my own on for decades. I put 'em on so they don't, wont, can't come off. Seriously.

Joe
Old 07-18-2012, 04:57 AM

Where in the world do you keep all of these machines?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 AM

That is a gorgeous Rocketter!!! I'd make room for it too.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 AM

I wish my Rocketeer looked so good! Congratulations!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 AM

OMG, I had to run and get a towel to soak up the slobber. Congrats Tammi. Sure hope you can get your DH away from that sewing machine so you can give her a test drive.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Tammi,

If your DH is "taken with this machine", I'm flat slobbering over it. That is a gorgeous haul if ever I saw one.
With all the Singers we have we don't have a single singer oil bottle. Nor do we have a Singer Slant Stitch button holler in the pink egg case.
The set up you have there is what I'd like to do with my 401A.

As far as buttons go, I've been sewing my own on for decades. I put 'em on so they don't, wont, can't come off. Seriously.

Joe
It's funny, he's more interested in the machines because of the "technology". They're fascinating to him from an engineering stand point. For instance, I learned from him that sewing machines had camshafts before cars did. The rocketeers though, for some reason he's been talking about those since he first saw a picture of one. He was so happy I had reassembled the cabinet already (picked it up in the mustang, took a little dis-assembly to do it, but it made it home), and set it up. LOL!

It's not without it's challenges though. When I removed the machine from the carry case, I saw the two washers and screws. When I removed the screws, I realized one of the "washers" I was holding was a tension disk. There was a look of horror at the machine, til I saw all 3 are where they belong. I think. It may be a little fun to get her tension set right, if that one belongs, and I have a washer in the tension assembly.

I can probably send you an oil can... they seem to be like bunnies here for some reason. At first, I was having trouble finding them. Bought the only two I'd seen, and the next 4 machines came with a total of 7 between them!!

I mentioned to the DH that this machine had officially cured me of shopping for goodies for the machines. I -just- bought a 10 pack of class 66 bobbins, cos I only had a few....

I have a funny feeling I'll just get tired of him hitching his work pants up and sew them on, but maybe I can sneak a lesson in and show him how easy it is for a rocketeer to do it...

Originally Posted by lillybeck View Post
Where in the world do you keep all of these machines?
Hey Lilly, I finally got a chance to post in the Vintage Machines and Displays thread. Believe it or not, they're so far all still in my sewing room. (http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5374272)

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
That is a gorgeous Rocketter!!! I'd make room for it too.
Originally Posted by harrishs View Post
I wish my Rocketeer looked so good! Congratulations!
Thank you thank you!

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
OMG, I had to run and get a towel to soak up the slobber. Congrats Tammi. Sure hope you can get your DH away from that sewing machine so you can give her a test drive.
LOL! No problem, he'll oogle it from afar, and suggest "projects" for me to do. To relax, of course.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Great looking machine!!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM

"I mentioned to the DH that this machine had officially cured me of shopping for goodies for the machines. I -just- bought a 10 pack of class 66 bobbins, cos I only had a few.... "

I will gamble on the fact that you will now be shopping for all this extra cams available on Ebay! - Just gotta have them. Congratulations. What a beautiful setup.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It's not without it's challenges though. When I removed the machine from the carry case, I saw the two washers and screws. When I removed the screws, I realized one of the "washers" I was holding was a tension disk. There was a look of horror at the machine, til I saw all 3 are where they belong. I think. It may be a little fun to get her tension set right, if that one belongs, and I have a washer in the tension assembly.
I had a chance to oil, grease and test sew on it last night.
Well, I don't care if there's a washer in the tension assembly or not. (I don't think there is, it all looks uniform)
The tension is perfect, even on zigzag, which blew my theory up about vintage machines with cams and zig zag tension. I don't want to even take a screwdriver to this one at all.

My only small complaint is that the fiber gear sounds a little loud, even after greasing. It looks fine, but for the "sawdust" in the area that says it ran dryish in the past. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Originally Posted by AuntieD View Post
Great looking machine!!
Thanks AuntieD, it's growing on me. The 400 and 500 series never really caught my eye, but I'm starting to really enjoy how solid a machine they are.

Originally Posted by coloradosky View Post
I will gamble on the fact that you will now be shopping for all this extra cams available on Ebay! - Just gotta have them. Congratulations. What a beautiful setup.
LOL! I have all the cams I want for the 403A, I think the two can share. I don't have the whole set, but I have the ones I can see myself using. (0 - 11 I think it is) Doesn't mean I don't haunt fleabay though.