Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there asbestos in my vintage cord or controller? >

Is there asbestos in my vintage cord or controller?

Is there asbestos in my vintage cord or controller?

Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 PM

Default Is there asbestos in my vintage cord or controller?

I read where someone suggested the back to a dual socket connector had asbestos. I thought it was a heavy cardboard or fiberboard. I tried to research it and didn't find anything on that but someone was stating the white circles in the foot controller that go around the screws and are between the ceremic and the bakelite are asbestos. He claimed he replaced them with insulating phenolic washers. So what do you think? Should we be replacing washers? Is there a reason to be concerned?

https://hoppejl.wordpress.com/restor...wing-machines/
Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

Asbestos is only dangerous when it is disturbed because it is the air born particles that you breathe in. Since the foot pedal is manipulated I would consider that disturbed. I would replace it wearing gloves and mask if they are indeed asbestos.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Asbestos is only dangerous when it is disturbed because it is the air born particles that you breathe in. Since the foot pedal is manipulated I would consider that disturbed. I would replace it wearing gloves and mask if they are indeed asbestos.
i agree, gloves and mask. even if you're not specifically fiddling around with the controller, gloves and masks are good to use. that way you dont inhale dust and dried bugs, mice droppings and other unknown stuff while youre rehabbing a machine.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:48 AM

I have cleaned and rebuilt a number of controllers that have those little asbestos insulators in them. I handle them carefully and then put them back. Don't ingest the stuff and it's a non-issue. Those little insulators are always sandwiched between things. Usually the ceramic resistance unit and the metal outer housing. So using the controller does not cause them to move or degrade.
If they are damaged replacing them with the phenolic washers is a good idea. Now, just where does one get such phenolic washers? I've no idea.

The backs to every cord block I've looked at have either been cardboard or plastic. Never seen one of those made from asbestos.

Joe
Old 03-12-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Could you use those test that are made for checking asbestos in the walls to be sure??
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have cleaned and rebuilt a number of controllers that have those little asbestos insulators in them. I handle them carefully and then put them back. Don't ingest the stuff and it's a non-issue. Those little insulators are always sandwiched between things. Usually the ceramic resistance unit and the metal outer housing. So using the controller does not cause them to move or degrade.
If they are damaged replacing them with the phenolic washers is a good idea. Now, just where does one get such phenolic washers? I've no idea.

The backs to every cord block I've looked at have either been cardboard or plastic. Never seen one of those made from asbestos.

Joe
Thanks Joe! I am going into town today so I will check with Fastenal if they have such washers. If not terribly expensive I've get some to have on hand.

For the cord block, I was thinking heavy cardboard too. I've taken a couple apart and re-wired them without too much trouble. Then yesterday people were giving such strong opinions (unsafe! unsafe!) to some poor gal who was trying to get one open that before I told them they were crazy, I thought I'd better check my facts lol!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Christy,

I routinely re-wire the cord blocks. The older blocks are made better than the new ones. There is nothing unsafe about do it as long as you pay attention to the way they are wired and make sure there is no crossed wires.

Some people are just fanatically paranoid about things. No need for that. Just use common sense and caution and these things work fine.

Here's what a cord block looks like inside:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513279[/ATTACH]

Here's one I rewired:
Before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513280[/ATTACH]
Someone jury rigged this one before. I have no idea if it worked
or not, I just tore it apart and redid it.

After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513281[/ATTACH]

Here's a new one I took the back off so I could label it for someone:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513282[/ATTACH]

Joe
Attached Thumbnails picture-007.jpg   img_5409.jpg   img_5413.jpg   cord-block-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Joe thanks for the photos. I actually have re-wired one before. I soldered the ends. I am going to re-do one today that has obviously been messed with before. I opened it up and one of the wires is fried and it's due to it having been re-wired incorrectly. I thought so when I saw it but ran to the computer to search out the wiring pattern since I remembered it differently from what I saw inside the block.

Good photos! Now off to tear this down and clean the contacts before I grab up some new wire.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Christy,

I've soldered them, riveted them, and bolted one together with tinsy weensy bolts and nuts. I like the rivets best.

Joe
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Banned

The guy writes very well but I have a hard time taking anything he says seriously after reading about his Singer 300 and using alcohol to clean his 66. I wonder if there's any decals left on it.

Cari