Is there a bobbin chart?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 AM

Default Is there a bobbin chart?

When I took in the hoard I also inherited a bunch of bobbins. I have cleaned them and attempted to sort them only to find I probably have them sorted wrong. I would love to see a bobbin chart explaining not only the different bobbins but also seeing what the originals looked like compared to some other things on the market. Knowing what was original and also what works best in different machines would sure help!

* I tried to mend a shopping sack with my 15 this morning only to have thread nests in reverse and have a stinky feeling it was the bobbin. I had to resort to using my trusted Elna for the quick job and figured I will workout the 15's problem later.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

When I got my machines, I put the bobbins that go with them into a Ziploc and labeled the bag to match the machine.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM

I have a couple of 4 compartment plastic boxes (target dollar section I think, they come and go) that I drop mine into and label.

I think I've seen this chart you speak of, it's just for the standard Singer bobbins though.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

The new 15 bobbins aren't very good - buy the plastic ones or vintage - if you get vintage look to make sure they aren't bent, rusted, gummed up with oil or have burrs...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

When I got my older machine (401 Slant-o-matic) I spent the day to see if the bobbins (a large bag of them) fit the machine in accordance with the bobbin already in the case. It was obvious many did not fit the case. Those were cast aside. This machine I found out later was not the previous owner's only machine. She had 3 and a serger set up in her studio. She was an interior designer. Some of the bobbins go to the other machines I'm sure but don't know who has the other machines. Mine was the only one in the estate sale.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Don't throw out the bobbins that don't fit...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:43 AM

Did you put the bobbin in correctly for your 15? Some of them rotate clockwise, some counter clockwise as the thread is pulled off. It do make a difference.

You would not believe how many bobbin designs there is.

I don't know of any chart, but right now I have machines that use:

Class 66 - metal and plastic
Class 15 - metal
FW type - ( fits= 9W-7, 221, 222, 301 and can be used in Kenmore 120-491 types.)
White / Kenmore style
A different Kenmore style ( 120-491 )
319 style
Singer T&S white stripe type
Bernina (a really nicely made fancy Class 15 with knurling on the inner hub)

Then there is Janome, Elna, other Singers, and the industrials.
Class 15 L - plastic
Class 15 - plastic

And that don't cover the long bobbins.

The only suggestion I could make would be to go to some of these big wholesale places such as Brewer and steal the pics they have of all the bobbins they sell. Then make your own chart.

Sew-Classic has quite a few bobbins with pictures and listings of what models they fit too. That might help.

Joe
Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
When I got my machines, I put the bobbins that go with them into a Ziploc and labeled the bag to match the machine.
40 of my machines came in together in a hurry from a bulk sale, I have baskets and boxes of bobbins, springs, tension parts, screws...it wasn't that easy for me.

I have tried matching them up in bags and comparing around the web but it's hard to be sure what is what.

Anastasia, I have some compartment boxes too labeled for my Viking and my Elnas. I have a couple more blanks waiting for bobbins once I get it sorted out.

Miriam, Can you post a picture of what the vintage class 15's looked like (with a coin in the pic)?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM

I did try matching some from the Sew Classic site. Then tried eBay but you know that's probably hit or miss!

I did have the bobbin in correctly. I double checked it with the manual.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Ok I dug around and found a handful of different class 15 bobbins. They are about the same size around a a nickle - at least that nickle. They are all about the same depth they should be flat. They need to be straight and round, free of rust, old thread, burrs and what not. The newer bobbins may not have the same size hole to go on the bobbin winder shaft. Some of the newer bobbins are not as strong. The plastic new bobbins are better than the metal new bobbins. I used to have one made out of aluminum but I can't find it any more. When they are in the bobbin case they should be flush with the edge.
Old new stock - new stock and old from the box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477851[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails class-15-bobbins-002.jpg