Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there a machine that you just don't like .... >

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM

I don't like my green Elna Supermatic.
I cleaned it up, got it running smoothly but the tension was way off. The top tension on this machine is so different from all other machines, that I've worked with, and there is so little info on the internet about them that I feel frustrated just looking at it.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Singer class 66 machines and especially the Red Head/Eye machine. It is garish to me.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Singer class 66 machines and especially the Red Head/Eye machine. It is garish to me.

you too!! Me too!! LOL of course I don't like paisley either... *smirks* guess what my first home ec fabric pattern was ... paisley! ha! It was from my mom's scrap pile so beggers shouldn't you know. BUT ... PAISLEY Seriously I fussed with that pattern and all i could do was scowl at those dots. *wink* haha
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
you too!! Me too!! LOL of course I don't like paisley either... *smirks* guess what my first home ec fabric pattern was ... paisley! ha! It was from my mom's scrap pile so beggers shouldn't you know. BUT ... PAISLEY Seriously I fussed with that pattern and all i could do was scowl at those dots. *wink* haha
reminds me of a tatoo
Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
So far I like all mine but then I haven't sewn with either a 99 or a Singer 27 yet.
Can't believe you still haven't tried out the 27: You'll probably love it. Mine's a very early one and I love it.
I didn't like my 99 either: Just didn't seem much point to it. Nothing wrong with it and stitches were lovely, but my aluminium 201k is superior in every way and probably lighter too.

Last edited by manicmike; 08-11-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Power Poster

I have a Singer 99 I put a hand crank on and I just love sitting outside and sewing on it - it runs very smooth and free. It doesn't make much noise so I can listen to the birds while I sew.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM

It's not vintage, but my least favorite machine is a White Jeans Machine made in the 1990s, I think. Piece of junk! I had so much frustration using it that I haven't touched it for years. And that is even though it is working according to specs. I should sell it.

For vintage machines, I have a Singer 127 treadle head that has given it's all and needs to be retired and replaced, and I'm not crazy about the old Elnas, either. One other machine is the Pfaff 1171. I still use it for bindings, but that darn machine is so hard to set up that I've named her "Mrs. Fussy Pfaff". I have a Pfaff 130 that I love, but don't think I'd buy a new Pfaff, especially if Singer makes them.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM

For me it's Brother- I had one years ago that would never finish a project. Could only get to the 1/2 way point. Like 1/2 a zipper !/2 a pair of pants. Well I thought it was one of those lemons you hear about . I have acquired a few of these through the years and every one of them acted the same way. If my older brother would try to finish my project it would throw a hissy fit. But if he started a new project of his they would finish and no problems from the machines. Hmm maybe it's the machines that don't like me?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Can't believe you still haven't tried out the 27: You'll probably love it. Mine's a very early one and I love it.
I didn't like my 99 either: Just didn't seem much point to it. Nothing wrong with it and stitches were lovely, but my aluminium 201k is superior in every way and probably lighter too.
It's not that I don't want to. I'm about 1/2 done with the woodwork on the treadle for Ella, my 27. I'm starting to get the finish on a few of the top pieces now. As soon as I'm done repairing all the woodwork, she will get the place of honor in the LR. Then I'll learn to treadle. If I like the way she sews, I have her older sister that I bought for the treadle parts I need. I'll fix that one up with a hand crank and carrying case. I haven't sewn on a treadle or used a VS machine yet so the whole thing is going to be new to me.
Rodney
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Me too...bought one for $5 in beautiful condition...needed a part which I replaced, now it growls like tractor trailer slowing down...which I guess is common for these machines....I just can't bring myself to spend any more time with it.

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
I don't like my green Elna Supermatic.
I cleaned it up, got it running smoothly but the tension was way off. The top tension on this machine is so different from all other machines, that I've worked with, and there is so little info on the internet about them that I feel frustrated just looking at it.