Thinking about a treadle

Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Default Thinking about a treadle

I was thinking about learning to sew on a treadle. How easy are they to maintain as I am not mechanically inclined at all? I am used to modern machines though I do take FW when camping. I have my mom's old singer because my sister was going to throw it away. The wood base was falling apart: hubby was supposed to fix it. I had it serviced and it still sews a beautiful stitch. I dont use it much because it is so heavy to lift and dont have room to keep it on my sewing table. I think its from the early 1950's because our mom made a lot of clothes for us kids on it. The number is AJ340013. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to learn to treadle when I retire next year.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM

I love my treadle. They are so easy to maintain because there are no electrical parts. My treadle is a Damascus, which was the store brand from Montgomery Ward. It belonged to my great, great Aunt May. I did have to replace the belt which was about 60 years old. It is fun to use.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I was thinking about learning to sew on a treadle. ....I have my mom's old singer ... The wood base was falling apart .... it is so heavy to lift and dont have room to keep it on my sewing table. ....The number is AJ340013.
It sounds like you have a Singer 201, but you need to figure out what the submodel number is. If it’s in a portable case, it could be either a 201-2 or a 201-3. If you plan to treadle it, things will go a lot better for your conversion if it’s a 201-3. It has an electric motor that connects to the machine with a belt. If it’s a 201-2, it will have a built-in motor that lives inside of a small canister attached to the back of the pillar. That one would be much more difficult to convert to treadle, but a great electric machine.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM

On CL I saw a treadle for sale in Petoskey (about 1 1/2 hours north) at a resale shop. Cant afford to get one for a couple of months. It looked good in the picture but didn't have time to go at that time. No way could I turn any machine into a treadle. I can barely oil my machines. Im a technically and cumputer challenged RN. I admire all you are able to do with these beautiful old machines.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:09 PM

I bought one two years ago. A 1915 Singer model 15-30. I learned a lot cleaning and oiling it. I also learned about cabinet refinishing. I made some mistakes but it was all worthwhile. I taught myself to treadle by watching videos on the web. The machine originally cost $35 on Craigslist and its some of the best money I have ever spent. I have enjoyed many hours restoring and now sewing on it. I have made several small items like potholders and a lap sized quilt. Just watch and wait! The right one will come along!
Colleen

Last edited by cmrenno; 12-01-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: misspelling