Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Those Fantastic Featherweights Video >

Those Fantastic Featherweights Video

Those Fantastic Featherweights Video

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 AM

Default Those Fantastic Featherweights Video

I've watched Muv's videos on cleaning, oiling, lubricating a machine. THANK YOU, MUV!! But she's not working on a Featherweight. Has anyone watched this video: Those Fantastic Featherweights? It's pricey, but for me personally, it would help to see the work being done on the exact machine I have. Comments?

Also, I'm not really clear on when I should use sewing machine oil and when I should use lubricant.

I have 2 Featherweights and a treadle. I haven't done a lot of work on them yet but am easing into it.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Welcome to working on vintage machines. We have a lot of fun here asking questions, getting answers, trying new things and feeling great about being successful when we are.

Oil vs lube is quite simple. Lube is only for gears and the motor. Oil is for all the metal touching metal parts other than gears. Do you have the 221 manual? That shows exactly where to oil and lube. .... and 1 drop of oil is enough... just do it again after 8-10 hours of sewing. My FWs tell me when they want oil, they sound a little different and once I oil them, they hum .... it's music to my ears. If you don't have a manual, download one from the ismacs site.

Keep us posted on your progress.... ask questions as you need to. You've found the right place.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Is that Dave McCallum's video? Yes, I have it and his book. They are great, he also covers the 301. I think he lives in Washington, he has been at my LQS to give a class (FW maintenance) a couple of times. I bought the book and video instead, it was about the same amount and I can watch it any time.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 AM

Thanks, nanna-up-north and Skyangel. I'm pretty sure I have the bug - I've got an overwhelming desire to hit all the local thrift and antique shops looking for machines!

@nanna-up-north: is there a brand of lubricant that I should stick with? I have the Singer oil. Maybe I should get a new one, the one I'm using is what came with the machine when I got it. I don't know how old it is.

Yes, I have the manual. I should pull it out, I just find that the older I get the harder it is for me to follow written instructions. I do much better with visuals/demonstrations and verbal instructions.

Thanks!!

Last edited by CindyA; 10-17-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:46 AM

Well, since you asked..... a lot of us around here love tri-flow. It has worked wonders on my FWs. I have 4 and they all love their tri-flow spa treatments. I get it at www.sew-classic.com.

Keep us posted on the 'new' old machines you find.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM

For great information, check out www.novamontgomery.com

She has lots of information under Tips of the Month.