Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thrift Shop score

Thrift Shop score

Went to my favorite thrift shop to get a dress shirt and pair of khakis for my son. I refuse to pay new prices for something he's going to wear 1 day only, paid $1 each. In the back they had this older machine for $30. I sorta tested it ( spun the hand wheel to make sure things moved) and it moved easily. The needle went up and down without a lot of racket so I'm assuming it's working. Its electrified but the cord is frayed so I didn't plug it in. The serial number starts with JC so it was made in 1948. I think I got a pretty good deal. I'll get pictures as soon as I replace the camera batteries.

Blog Entries
    Anxious to see the photos. I did the same when my niece turned 1. 30 years ago. I bought a really cute ruffly and lacy dress with leggings and fancy little shoes. Had the best photos of a one year old with birthday cake and lot's of chocolate icing all over her and the dress. Mom liked it so well she cleaned it up and gave it to the next little one year old girl and passed it on. Sorry for the ramble. Anxious to see pics of machine.

Its possible there was another machine that was in a modern table that could be around the same age. I'll be going back on Tuesday to check it out. The shop isn't open on Sat, Sun, or Monday of all days.

After a little investigation I found out my machine is a Singer 15-91. After a good cleaning, oiling, rewiring or hand crank addition it should sew perfectly. I mainly got it for sewing heavier fabrics and quilts but I believe it will work for just about anything. I've got several vintage machines I need to post so I can learn more about them.

Pictures have been uploaded but they're stuck in the moderation queue.

A Singer 15-91 isn't the easiest machine to convert to handcrank, and many need some maintenance on the wiring, but the gear-drive should be good for your intended use.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

The wiring in the motor looks to be pretty good shape, its the wire outside that's in rough shape. This should be a pretty simple fix.

pictures

Finally got the picture thing mastered.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

last ones cause they wouldn't fit above.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by crocee; 11-23-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Looks nice!
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.

Sounds great....Love those thrift stores...