tool recommendation needed

Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Default tool recommendation needed

Hi all,
I'm having trouble loosening the screws on the hook assembly and the motor pulley of a Featherweight. The screw slot is only about 1/8" across, but it's much wider than the blade of my 1/8" slotted screwdriver. I've heard that gunsmithing screwdrivers might be better to use on a vintage sewing machine. Home Depot and Ace Hardware didn't have anything other than normal screwdrivers. Especially to those of you who have worked on those tiny, countersunk screws on a Featherweight, do you have any recommendations for where to find proper screwdrivers so I don't strip the screws?
Ila
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM

*** Harbor Freight has a tiny Pittsburgh 8 piece Right Angle Screwdriver kit
*** that works well on some sewing machine screws.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM

In a gun store or online, as far as I know. I bought a set of Chapman bits through amazon. They really are very well made.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM

I think most machines come with 2 screwdrivers. One small one and one a little larger. The small one I use for adjusting bobbin tension and also on some of the recessed set screws on the upper tension control on some machines.

Soman2

T O R

PS-I am an avid user of Kroil before attempting any screw removals. This stuff works!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Hi Soman2,
Where would I find Kroil?
Ila
Old 12-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Banned

Amazon.com or Home Depot
Old 12-12-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
Hi all,
I'm having trouble loosening the screws on the hook assembly and the motor pulley of a Featherweight. The screw slot is only about 1/8" across, but it's much wider than the blade of my 1/8" slotted screwdriver. I've heard that gunsmithing screwdrivers might be better to use on a vintage sewing machine. Home Depot and Ace Hardware didn't have anything other than normal screwdrivers. Especially to those of you who have worked on those tiny, countersunk screws on a Featherweight, do you have any recommendations for where to find proper screwdrivers so I don't strip the screws?
Ila
I know exactly which screw you are talking about. I found the screwdriver I used at a thrift store that I frequent and almost always look through the tools looking for sewing machine screwdrivers and wrenches. I've picked up several - some for specific machines. I actually put the two that worked on a FW in a ziplock baggy and an index card to say what they were used for. I think I may have used one of John's screwdrivers for the screw to get the hook assembly apart once it was out of the machine.

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
>>snipped<<
Soman2
T O R
PS-I am an avid user of Kroil before attempting any screw removals. This stuff works!!
I agree, but sometimes it takes time. I actually used several things on the hook assembly of the FW in this post http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7315731 Both penetrating oil and the right screwdriver finally got it off.

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Amazon.com or Home Depot
I couldn't find Kroil on Home Depot's web site, but did find something similar with good reviews. I haven't looked lately. I found my AeroKroil at an estate sale. I would prefer the liquid, but the spray works okay in some situations. I have sprayed some in a small container and used it that way. I need to remember to use a glass or metal container as the little plastic one I used, that I had left some Kroil in, ate away the bottom. Fortunately it was only a small amount of Kroil and the container was one that I had gotten some "samples" in from Sam's.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:04 AM

You are so right! Gun smithing tools are perfect! Thank God I am married to an Armorer (modern day term for Gunsmith). Their tools are small enough to get in tiny places! I also use many of his cleaners and lubes on my VSM's
Old 12-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by monopas View Post
In a gun store or online, as far as I know. I bought a set of Chapman bits through amazon. They really are very well made.
I bought a set of those, too. I have better luck with the cheap stuff. I broke two of the Chapman bits right off the bat on the same stuck screw the first time I tried them out. The cheap bits I got at Menards worked perfectly - use until they go and buy more... I always look at the flea markets for screw drivers. The old guys selling them get a bang out of how I look the whole pile over then select one with a blade I like. My husband just rolls his eyes.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:51 PM

I use a MegaPro Original screwdriver. The bits are interchangeable and replaceable. I do think the bits are softer than they used to be. I twist one or two a year but the double ended blade bit is only $1.70 Cdn, so I don't mind that much.