Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Top Hat Fashion Disc #0 for Singer 503A Slant Needle

Top Hat Fashion Disc #0 for Singer 503A Slant Needle

My Singer 503A requires a #0 Fashion Disc in order to use the ZZ and I believe it also requires it to do the nomal straight stitch. Is it best to remove the disc from the machine when it is not being used for a period of time? I have always left the disc in the machine but lately have wondered if this is the correct thing to do. Any thoughts? Thanks

Leave it right there, it won't hurt the disc at all. That way you don't loose it and you don't start to sew and break the needle.

Joe

Don't take it out! Do you have any idea how many 503's I have rehabed that did not have the 0 cam? A bunch. Another thing to leave in the machine is the extra spool pin. Unless you are using it to sew keep it in the machine. I have only seen one 503 in the wild that had its extra spool pin.

Thank you. I will continue to keep it in the machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Don't take it out! Do you have any idea how many 503's I have rehabed that did not have the 0 cam? A bunch. Another thing to leave in the machine is the extra spool pin. Unless you are using it to sew keep it in the machine. I have only seen one 503 in the wild that had its extra spool pin.
    Sounds like you have worked on a lot. I recently purchased a 503a in a case from the thrift store for $4. It didn't have a foot controller so I had to buy one. It does have the extra spool pin, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. It is missing the top cover. Anyway, now that I have gotten the foot controller and tested it, it does run, but it seems a little noisy as compared to my Necchi. Is that normal? It doesn't necessarily sound like something is wrong, but it is noisy.

Have you oiled all the places metal meets metal that move? Have you taken the hand wheel off and lubed the worm gear?