Top tension question

Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Take out the set screw and you should be able to pull the whole thing out. There may or may not be still another set screw holding the stud in the back of the barrel. With out all the other parts, the pin will just fall out when you tip the machine forward - careful not to lose parts. If the stud doesn't have a set screw holding it in place it is threaded and you will have to carefully get it out. I take the stud and pin out to clean. If you don't care if it is clean, loosen the set screw and turn the barrel so the stud is in the right place then tighten the set screw. Remember the barrel is directional or the tension spring won't function. That would be why I totally disassemble and clean all that off the machine with alcohol or naphtha. You do not want to get either chemical on the shellac. I also work with a big old bumper sticker magnet under where I'm working to catch run away parts. TFSR manual has excellent instructions for putting it back together. Tammi has a good video on 201 tension rebuilding but she doesn't show taking out the stud and pin.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFXRd...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew
I can't remember if she shows how to set the barrel and stud but I remember she didn't take out the pin. If not send Tammi an email on her site. Tell her I sent you.

Last edited by miriam; 04-10-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Barrel just goes flush there are no spring cut outs. That is all in the external hardware. Sorry I mentioned it and possibly confused you - too late to edit that comment out.

Tammi has another video with the tension parts still on the machine. There are more nuggets of info on that video just scroll down her list of videos.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:12 AM

I did watch her video and another one from Gballz. Between the two of them I was able to take the whole thing out, clean it and put it back in. It took me a couple of tries but I did it. Her tips were very useful and I really tried to put it back together like she did but I ended up at one point putting it in the machine and finish the assembly like that. Thank you for your help as well. The 201 is a fantastic machine.