Top tension question

Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Top tension question

I did a search and didn't see any theads about this problem. My top tension may be out of sinc. The + and - were to the left as you look at the machine. Shouldn't that be on the top? I should have taken a picture but was anxious to fix it. But I don't know how to turn the doo hickey (is there a image of what to call everything?) And it's not that simple. I saw a youtube on how to take it apart and put back together, but not sure what to do to turn the thing everything goes back on or if I even need to. The part on youtube was turned different than mine. Do I need to change this or just put it back as it was?[ATTACH=CONFIG]571212[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2017-04-08-18.17.49.jpg  

Last edited by KathyJB; 04-08-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:11 PM

Kathy, I thought I saw a youtube about how to put it back together and how to get it like it was.

Do you have the TFSR manuals? If you don't, I would suggest downloading all the manuals at http://web.archive.org/web/201610160...achine_manual/ The one you want for this particular issue should be addressed in "The tension mechanism" on pages 12 and 13.

The manual at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf also talks about disassembling and reassembling the thread tension starting on page 13 of the pdf'

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Kathy, I thought I saw a youtube about how to put it back together and how to get it like it was.

Do you have the TFSR manuals? If you don't, I would suggest downloading all the manuals at http://web.archive.org/web/201610160...achine_manual/ The one you want for this particular issue should be addressed in "The tension mechanism" on pages 12 and 13.

The manual at http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf also talks about disassembling and reassembling the thread tension starting on page 13 of the pdf'

Thank you and I finally discovered it's called a tension stud. Every single one I find on the net has the groove horizontal and my groove is vertical. That can't be right. I will go now to check out your information. Thanks a million. Oh and I have a confession.....I had the needle in wrong.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Whoot! I have my answer. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Janey & John

(4) It is not necessary to remove the stud from the machine arm (as seen here) to disassemble the thread tension - but it does help to show it for the purpose of illustration. However, check that the stud is set with the slot horizontal so that the pointer for the stitch setting can be at the top of the machine. You can see that the 201 has two differentiating features compared with the other models :A: The addition of a thread guardplate with a tail at the top which locates into a hole in the machine

Now I have to find out how to do that. I feel so much better

Last edited by KathyJB; 04-08-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

I do not remember of a 201 has a set screw or if the post is threaded. If it is threaded you do not want to bend it. Put the end piece on and turn it lightly with a screw driver. If it is a set screw you will see one if you look around above or on either side of the tension barrel. Tammi has some wonderful videos on 201 tensions. I think in the resource section.

While you have that open, take the pin out and clean it in 90% rubbing alcohol or naphtha. ive seen a lot of tensions gummed up right there. Until that is clean the tension won't pin won't retract. Do not get the alcohol on the shellac part of the machine alcohol will dissolve not just the gunk and oil but shellac as well. Naphtha will turn the shellac cloudy white so be careful with it, too but if alcohol won't remove the gunk naphtha will. Evap-o- rust is a good product but vinegar will take off rust too. Be sure it is rust first. Some dried on oil is the same color. Dried oil will be a bit gummy.

Last edited by miriam; 04-09-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
Whoot! I have my answer. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Janey & John
You are welcome. Seriously, download all the TFSR manuals. The have a lot of good info and come in handy when working on these old machines..

Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 AM

My new Featherweight smells like my Grandma's house, sort of stale-oil-urine-type smell. Is there anything I can do for that?

Marcia
Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
My new Featherweight smells like my Grandma's house, sort of stale-oil-urine-type smell. Is there anything I can do for that?

Marcia
Did they have cats where you got/bought it from?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I do not remember of a 201 has a set screw or if the post is threaded. If it is threaded you do not want to bend it. Put the end piece on and turn it lightly with a screw driver. If it is a set screw you will see one if you look around above or on either side of the tension barrel. Tammi has some wonderful videos on 201 tensions. I think in the resource section.

While you have that open, take the pin out and clean it in 90% rubbing alcohol or naphtha. ive seen a lot of tensions gummed up right there. Until that is clean the tension won't pin won't retract. Do not get the alcohol on the shellac part of the machine alcohol will dissolve not just the gunk and oil but shellac as well. Naphtha will turn the shellac cloudy white so be careful with it, too but if alcohol won't remove the gunk naphtha will. Evap-o- rust is a good product but vinegar will take off rust too. Be sure it is rust first. Some dried on oil is the same color. Dried oil will be a bit gummy.
Yes it has a set screw. It's here on the inside just past the silver part of the tensioner. [ATTACH=CONFIG]571251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2017-04-09-14.43.02.jpg  
Old 04-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post

Marcia
Take off the bottom cover and check the felt pad. That's often the cause of the machine smell. Replacements are available or you can make one.

Cari