Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Treadle base + any mechanical machine? >

Treadle base + any mechanical machine?

Treadle base + any mechanical machine?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Question Treadle base + any mechanical machine?

Other than fitting into the existing space on the base, what are the issues/specs that determine what machine can be used on which treadle base? I keep finding one or the other that I like and am inclined to put two separate purchases together to build a nice treadle machine. (I have a nice 127 & a Damascus Grand Rotary and luckily both were already sitting pretty in nice cabs.)

For those of you who do this all the time, what do I need to know before attempting this? Thanks!

Last edited by RavenLunaStitch; 02-20-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM

There is way more variation than I expected to find. I've got treadle machines made by

Davis
Wheeler Wilson
Singer
White
National
New Home
Standard
Household
Domestic (pre White)
Free
Eldredge (pre National)
Foley & Wilson

all of them will work with the cast iron base - as long as you get the machine lined up so the belt grove on the flywheel of the machine lines up with the flywheel below. keep in mind, some machines run counter clockwise and some clockwise - but it does not matter once you get the wheel spinning, you just have to start it in the other direction.

if you don't wish to modify the cabinet -
Differences include:
Size of base of machine (opening in cabinet) This also includes any flip up opening needed to drop the machine. You have to make sure the machine will clear when. I've put non-Singers in Singer cabinets only to find I could not lower them as the flywheel hit a metal support bracket - but that's not too hard to move - these were electric machines though.

Depth and diameter of hinge pin (and even type of hinge, not all are pins)
Location of belt grove in flywheel in relation to base of machine
Method to secure machine to cabinet (so it won't fall out when cabinet is closed).

If you are interested in later made models, there are less variations - and after a while, they got quite standardized.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
There is way more variation than I expected to find.
Thank you for a very detailed expert answer! That's exactly what I was afraid of. Do you think if I stick with Singer machines and Singer cabinets/treadle irons there would be fewer problems with the alignment of the machine's belt groove & the flywheel below? I would be willing to modify the cabinet if necessary. The ultimate goal is to have a treadle machine that works well. Aesthetics aren't as much of an issue to me -- I just prefer using a treadle machine for most of my sewing (although I often do small piecing on my beautiful 1938 Featherweight!).

Thanks for sharing your experiences! It really helps!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

the method we have developed around here is to use a base set of irons, create an opening large enough for your largest machine and it's belt holes and cut that into the top. then make "templates" for each machine that are on the outside the size of the mega hole, and the inner is cut to match that machines base and positioning and viola! universal treadle.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Thanks, Steve -- It's a great idea that I might have to implement if I keep collecting treadle bases & machines. I should just stop now & be happy with my current collection (but only *after* I find some irons for my Wilcox & Gibbs).

I just *love* sewing on a treadle. It's so relaxing, compared to my 99 which feels (& sounds) like a machine gun, with matching speed that is not relaxing either!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM

I use 4 original treadle bases for about 30 different heads. 3 are for various Davis' and 1 for full sized Singers. I find the cabinet styles just as beautiful as the heads. The space saving of only one treadle is very appealing however.

Jon
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post

........I just *love* sewing on a treadle. It's so relaxing, compared to my 99 which feels (& sounds) like a machine gun, with matching speed that is not relaxing either!
I haven't sewn on a treadle (yet) but I'm surprised by this. Your 99 is a scaled down 66 and my 66 is a smooth, quiet machine. I wouldn't describe the noise it does make as being anything near machine gun like.
my touch & sews are noisy enough they might qualify though.
Rodney
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 PM

Rodney, I confess to being little sensitive to sound, although by listening to my machines I can tell what needs oil or even when my bobbin is about to run out sometimes. I really seriously love the hypnotic gentle click-click sound of the bullet shuttle in my 127, or the purr of my Featherweight -- the 99 is just not my preferred "speed" so-to-speak. But, I must give Miss 99 plenty of credit for being a very well-behaved and very fast workhorse. (Hmmm, perhaps I should evaluate whether my relationships with my machines is becoming unhealthy...)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 PM

RavenLunaStitch is a lovely handle (username). I agree the 99 and my 185J is not the calming soft click clack of a treadle or 127 shuttle or a 201. I like the 99 (named jellybean) - but totally 'get' what you mean!!! Never had a 66 - sure wonder they sound like. And my 15s are in the middle on my sensitive sound radar.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM

Jellybean sounds pretty much the same as a 66 to me. I'm surprised you didn't rename her Jellybean came from my Archie comic theme days.