Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Treadle before the the machine? >

Treadle before the the machine?

Treadle before the the machine?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 AM

Default Treadle before the the machine?

Does one find a machine first and then hunt for treadle to fit. Or other way around? I have access to a White treadle and wonder if any machine can be used, with some adjustment perhaps. I see comments about such and such machine fitting in a Singer treadle but what makes the fit? Placement in top? Or the treadle wheel size? I googled several different word combos on this but not finding answers so I finally came here to you guys, the experts! Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

A White treadle will hold a White machine. A Singer treadle will hold a Singer or maybe a Japanese machine. But there are different size bases. You have to measure the hinge distance area of the machine and the treadle. Then the machine has to be the right length and width for the opening. Kenmore machines have a different hinge arrangement than Singer. Yes you can make a new top for the treadle base. Glenn has talked about cutting holes and fitting pieces together to hold various machines. We have tried carving up an old table top to fit in a treadle. It sort of works but doesn't look very nice. I think there maybe some old threads here or maybe on treadlon about the treadles if you have time to search. I wish there was an easy answer.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
A White treadle will hold a White machine. A Singer treadle will hold a Singer or maybe a Japanese machine. But there are different size bases. You have to measure the hinge distance area of the machine and the treadle. Then the machine has to be the right length and width for the opening. Kenmore machines have a different hinge arrangement than Singer. Yes you can make a new top for the treadle base. Glenn has talked about cutting holes and fitting pieces together to hold various machines. We have tried carving up an old table top to fit in a treadle. It sort of works but doesn't look very nice. I think there maybe some old threads here or maybe on treadlon about the treadles if you have time to search. I wish there was an easy answer.
Thanks. You actually answered a question; I just wasn't sure what I was asking until your response. It is the top opening that makes a fit and not the treadle underneath. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

The balance wheel of the machine needs to line up with the big wheel below or it can do funny things.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 AM

Often it's the location and type of hinge pin (the part that attaches the machine to the base) that are different, along with the size of the base. Some, like Davis, have the belt on the outside of the flywheel while most others have it on the inside.

The other problem is some cabinets are set up to tip the machine backward, and some nose down, while a few keep the machine level when lowered. Singers are made to tip forward and do not have any built in part to secure the front of the machine to the cabinet, while some have a screw and many have a latch.

I've also found that the pins come in several variations in diameter, shape (some are more square, some round) length and some have indentations. And the different machines have different holes they fit into. Some older ones that were not meant to be tipped (like for coffin top cabinets) don't have holes for set screws, so there is not way to secure the machine to the hinge pins.

As to getting machines to fit a cabinet, you can almost always modify the top to make the machine fit - with the exception of putting a Singer in a back tilting cabinet unless you can figure out a way to secure the front edge.

I'm modifying one treadle cabinet so I can put a lot of machines in it - but the opening accepts a base that will stay with the machine, and the bases are made so that the machine fits in them correctly so the belt will line up. This cabinet is not intended for storage of machines, though it's the type the machine would stay upright and lower into the cabinet.

If things go as planned, I'm going to have several "new to me" treadle cabinets tonight, and then I can look over them and see how the vary.

I have treadle cabinets for White, Standard, Domestic (early) Demorest, Florence (high arm), Foley & Williams, Free, Singer (lots) and will be adding a New Home (along with more of what I already have). I also have several other MFG machines without cabinets, so I can check them over for pin location and pin type.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 AM

Does one have to concern self with pins if going to keep 'up' all the time? Maybe a routered lip all around for machine to set into?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM

As the others have said different brands have different base measurements, different hinge types, different hinge placement and attachment methods and so on.
As long as you're comfortable with a little woodworking there shouldn't be too many issues getting a head to fit into a different base.
Treadleon has some good reading, you might find something there to help.
http://treadleon.net/woodshop/index.html
Rodney
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM

The nice part with the pins - most of these machines need to be tipped back to oil the parts on the bottom side, and that can be a bit difficult if there are no pins to hold the back edge in place so you can hold it tipped with one hand and oil with the others. Many will only tip back so far, and then stay that way so you can use both hands to oil/clean. So without that, you'll need to lay something down, and then lay the machine over on it's side to oil/clean the bottom. Since these are not light machines, that may be and issue for some.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM

If it turns out you need an adapter to make the machine fit, I can help you out. I can't go there myself obviously, but I'm happy to cut something out and mail it to you.
Rodney
Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM

I always preferred buying a "matched" head and cabinet. When buying a head only from ebay I already had a base I knew the head fit. Personally, I've never been interested in modifying cabinets or building a top for an old set of irons but if woodworking is your bag it might be fun.

Jon