Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Treadle cabinet styles

Treadle cabinet styles

Hi everyone

Since getting my Phoenix 250 (thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts with me about this - I really appreciate it!) I have noticed that I haven't seen another cabinet in the same style. It's a single fronted cabinet with a central handle. The whole front panel lifts out and there is a stool on the back of the front panel, which has a storage lid under the seat. I'm going to try restoring it, so was looking for ideas about whether it's original to the machine and what wood it might be made from.

Name:  IMG_9135.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  112.4 KBName:  IMG_9134.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  118.0 KBDoes anyone else have one like this? If not, what kind do you have? I'd love to see pics of your favourites

Sone of the Necchi sewing machines came with a similar cabinet. I know I have seen pictures of the Necchi BU in a treadle parlor cabinet. Do an Internet search for for images Necchi BU cabinet.
    Sweet Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    .... The whole front panel lifts out and there is a stool on the back of the front panel, which has a storage lid under the seat...
    Does anyone else have one like this?
    I had a Pfaff cabinet once that was designed similar to yours, but it was an electric cabinet, not a treadle. I identified mine as a “Pfaff Model 44 Hollywood Cabinet”, but I don’t remember where I came up with that information.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

I was going to say that there was a Necchi cabinet just like yours in the storage unit my friend had. I thought it was a pretty cool way to have the seat! Does your machine pop out of the top straight up or fold down into it? On that one it popped straight up and its a tad bit on the dangerous side if you happen to be leaning over it when you open it!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Sone of the Necchi sewing machines came with a similar cabinet. I know I have seen pictures of the Necchi BU in a treadle parlor cabinet. Do an Internet search for for images Necchi BU cabinet.
    Thanks Caroline, I did have a look but they were a little bit different, but very interesting to check out

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    I had a Pfaff cabinet once that was designed similar to yours, but it was an electric cabinet, not a treadle. I identified mine as a “Pfaff Model 44 Hollywood Cabinet”, but I don’t remember where I came up with that information.

CD in Oklahoma
    Hey CD, that's almost the same! Great to see... I still haven't found another one the same in my online travels. Most recently been checking out German sites where they seem to sell more Phoenix's. Thanks for the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    I was going to say that there was a Necchi cabinet just like yours in the storage unit my friend had. I thought it was a pretty cool way to have the seat! Does your machine pop out of the top straight up or fold down into it? On that one it popped straight up and its a tad bit on the dangerous side if you happen to be leaning over it when you open it!
    It's really cool, jennb. It's actually comfortable, even though I was skeptical as I'm quite tall. Mine doesn't 'pop up' no - that would be pretty nifty, although when you open the lid, there is an arm that comes out automatically to support the table top, which I think is a bit nice, although it may be quite usual. My Bernina table has a wooden support that you slide out, but it's manual.