Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Treadle Chop Shop on EBAY

Treadle Chop Shop on EBAY

If you need pitmans, bases, or foot pedals this is your dealer. Don't know what happens to the machines. I'm afraid to ask.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Trea...item4d14e78abd

That's a lot of dead treadles. I hope he's only dimantling the ones that are too far gone to save.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    You know they aren't really all that dead. You would be surprised how easy it is to breathe new life into an old treadle machine. Just because the decals look ugly or there are one or two parts missing doesn't mean the machine is dead. They are a lot of fun to sew on, too.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I hate to see places like that. They tend to ruin perfectly good treadles or anything else just for the money of it.

Joe

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me -- where is a good place to buy a treadle belt? I just inherited one from my aunt, who got it from my great-grandmother. The long belt needs to be replaced, and I need to clean it up a lot. I've been following some of your "adventures" on restorations of older machines, and while I won't be restoring this to "like-new" condition, I will be doing the best I can since I've never done this before. I also need to find some Tri-Flow(?)
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. ~ Allophones Karr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
    Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me -- where is a good place to buy a treadle belt? I just inherited one from my aunt, who got it from my great-grandmother. The long belt needs to be replaced, and I need to clean it up a lot. I've been following some of your "adventures" on restorations of older machines, and while I won't be restoring this to "like-new" condition, I will be doing the best I can since I've never done this before. I also need to find some Tri-Flow(?)
    sew-classic has the stuff you need - get bobbins there, too - better than the box store bobbins...
    You don't have to restore it right away. Glenn from Huntsville, AL has a tutorial on restoring the finish which is great for protecting the old decals from further wear. Muv has a ton of info on her videos and on her website. I would recommend practicing on an old piece of junk sewing machine before you do much on that machine.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Thank you so much Miriam. I knew I'd read that info somewhere, but I guess I'm still too sleepy to think right, just now. I really kind of dread trying to clean up that machine, because I know for sure that it's been in storage at least 30 yrs., and that long since it's been sewn on, and there's no telling what kind of dust and dirt is in there. But my dear GGM made a lot of my little clothes on this machine when I was a baby, and it's a sentimental thing for me. She passed away with TB when I was about 10 yrs. old.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. ~ Allophones Karr

Blog Entries
    Debbie, take your time. Your signature says you are a survivor - you can do it.

Yep, here's another vote for SewClassic, good quality parts and super fast shipping. I live in Canada and its amazing how quick the package gets here.
    1939 Singer 221, 1926 Singer 15-88 treadle, 1980 Singer Starlet 496, 1947 Singer 201-3, 1916 Singer 99k Handcrank

seeing all the treadle parts just made me sad.
    Sharon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast