treadle machine for sale

Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Default treadle machine for sale

I have the first opportunity to buy a singer treadle. I know nothing except the cabinet is in good condition. What type of machine or machines are in treadle and are orgrinal (SP) to the treadle. What kind of machine is good to quilt the sandwich on. Could you show pictures of the kinds and tell me what price range I should expect to pay for one. Are they tempermental? Any help you can give me about the different kinds and prices could you show pictures also Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

wow, ok... let's take this a step at a time.

1. Hundreds of different machines were made in treadles (if not thousands)
2. Quilting a sandwich sounds messy no matter the machine used. hehe
3. This whole section of the site is FULL of pictures, take a look around.....
4. Price range = $Free to $2,000+
5. I have never met a machine that is more temperamental than I am.

Hope this helps
Steve
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM

For a start you can check out this thread although it's a very long ongoing thread. It's full of great pictures and sometimes ideas on pricing
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t130994.html

I think from what I have read treadles have been made since the late 1800's up until maybe the 1940's and 50's so there are lots of choices. From what I can tell since the White machines weren't changed as much you can find the parts and pieces if a machine needs help. If the White serial number starts with an FR then it will take one of two different bobbin cases and they are supposed to be easy to find.
Also since there have been so many Singers made they are easy to find as well.
I have found that just reading through the postings on this board and doing some online research you will be able to make a good choice when you are ready to buy.
Good Luck
Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 PM

looks like I have a lot of researching to do. thanks for the link.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 AM

Donnai, keep in eye on Craigslist in your area - I've seen some great deals, though there is someone in Lawernceville that offers a lot at a rather high price . . . right now there seems to be a group of rather high priced ones, but it goes in cycles.

A Singer is a good one to start with as parts are almost always available, and there are a lot of them out there with worn decals and such so they aren't something a collector is going to want and that keeps the price down.

Like Steve said, there are tons (literally, as these are heavy machines!) of them out there. If you just want to jump in, find a nice 66 side clamp or a newer 15 in a treadle for $50 and go from there.

this one would be a good starter treadle, I'd offer $50 unless it comes with a good set of accessories. Cabinet is in rough shape and machine is nothing special. (Personally, I'd save up about $200 and then watch for something much nicer to come up)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/atq/4181691940.html

Ohh- if this one had been available while I was down there . . . but that is because this decal pattern is rare and the cabinet is in nice shape - and I don't own either yet! This one would need a lot of TLC becuase it is a rare decal pattern and you would not want to damage it. Seller does not know what they have, and thinks the high price is because of the stuff that comes with it - that is really only worth about $50 total. I'd try to get it down to $200 - and let them keep the puzzle box if needed!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/atq/4178501618.html

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.