Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM

Judy,

I had one in my garage for 12 years and it had been unused for who knows how long before that.
In less than an hour of oiling and putting on a new belt it was a running machine. There is likely nothing wrong at all with that 66 other than it's dried out inside. Use real sewing machine oil in the machine, I like the Singer stuff when I can find it. Don't forget the joints on the treadle. They need oiling too.

Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Judy,

I had one in my garage for 12 years and it had been unused for who knows how long before that.
In less than an hour of oiling and putting on a new belt it was a running machine. There is likely nothing wrong at all with that 66 other than it's dried out inside. Use real sewing machine oil in the machine, I like the Singer stuff when I can find it. Don't forget the joints on the treadle. They need oiling too.

Joe
Thanks for the information, I will try it, but first I need to replace the belt so I will need to do some research to see if any of my local sewing repair shops carry them.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the good advice.
Judy
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM

If you don't have a local sewing machine guy, I know of some that have used leather boot laces, sewn together. Check in the vintage sewing machine shop and ask there.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 AM

What a precious treasure. How lucky you are.

am a former MIchigander!!
you can have your winters.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
This is a picture of my Singer Treadle machine. I am unable to get to the serial number due to where my machine sits & me having a broken ankle I can't read it. Thanks for every ones help I appreciate it.
Judy, you are so lucky. That is a beautiful machine. I have one too. The Red Eye is one of my favorites. After you get Her cleaned up She will be sparkling and make you so happy. You can also get the belts off eBay. I just ordered one for a friend of mine. Please post Pic's of Her after She is cleaned and sparkling. Joy
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 AM

I have successfully used plastic tubing for a treadle belt. There is a small connector you can buy to join it. It works as well as the leather belt but lasts longer. Any pet store and most hardware stores sell this. It doesn't look traditional so I do use leather but always keep this around for emergencies.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM

She is a beauty. It is a real treasure to have your grandmother's treadle machine.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Muv

Judy, you lucky gal! My grandmother died when I was six. I can remember seeing her treadle, always with the cover on, and I wasn't allowed to touch. It went when the house was cleared. I have been making up for the loss of that machine ever since.

You can get treadle belts online from Treadle Lady's website, www.treadlelady.com

I'd love to pop round and clean up the machine with you, but distance is a problem, so I hope you enjoy my videos on Youtube (see the sticky thread at the beginning of this section for the links). Treat yourself to a tube of metal polish - I use Peek, made in England (hurrah hurrah) and available in the States. If you can't find it in the shops buy it online at www.tripeek.com Your machine should clean up a treat. Don't forget to post photos when you've finished!