Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Treadle sewing Machines??????? >

Treadle sewing Machines???????

Treadle sewing Machines???????

Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks riutzelj. Glad to hear an informed voice on this!
I've heard of other groups doing a variety of similar activities, one I know of acts more as a broker for these small groups of women, providing the advertising materials (catalogs), US warehouse, etc. for distribution of the products made by these folks from all over the world.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM

You have 4 what? do they sew? Do you sew with them? Would you sell one that sews? maggie
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My SIL believes the same thing and is wanting a good semi-modern machine in a treadle. I got her beat, I have four.

Joe
Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
As i work with a Women's group that provides treadles for women in rural Kenya, I can speak to this with authority. for 150.00 we buy new treadles in Africa for the village. Nothing as solid as the original Singers etc but they still provide a means for women to support their families making things to sell.
We are a small non-denominational group ( Women of Purpose International) that has outreaches in Kenya, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia and Ghana. Education in Sierra Leone, small business set ups in the other countries. Prayer for all. The group in Sierra Leone makes the most amazing Batiks.

Thank you for this. Just my point, some groups say they buy these old one, RESTORE them, and ship..... BS.

buying new and in country is a bit more realistic..

In homesteading forum's people have bought these wal mart machines, There report is with in two years there cabinets are falling a part, because of the type of consturtion,, they can't stand up to the vibration, Then end up looking for an old one, I don't hear much about the machine heads

I buy used clothes ( goodwill ) In shirts I look for those made in these small country, often the stitching and fabric is better than those made in the usa. This is in the heavy men's shirts...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
You have 4 what? do they sew? Do you sew with them? Would you sell one that sews? maggie
I have four treadle machines.
Yes.
Yes.
Not at this time.

I'm in IL and to ship a complete treadle machine would cost you more than it would cost to buy a complete one there.
I received my #1 Singer 66 as a gift 12 years ago. It cost $50.00 and was complete, even had some attachments.
I paid less than $30.00 for my #2 Singer 66 at GW last year. I have about $50.00 in it for parts to restore it back to a treadle. It also came with some attachments.
We paid somewhere around $285.00 for my Franklin in it's parlor cabinet. I have a lot of time and money in it repairing the cabinet. We picked it up at the GW in Terre Haute, IN. The bottom was water damaged and fell apart as we put it in the Pathfinder. Now repaired and is fully functional.
We paid $20.00 for my Singer 9W-7 and it's damaged cabinet. The head was in good shape but the treadle base and wood is not. For now she resides in a frankin cabinet.

Keep your eyes open, GW, Salvation Army, ST V's, other thrift stores, CL, etcetera. These machines are out there. Singer made a gazillion of them and so did many other manufacturers.

Joe
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Correction to my above post since I can't edit it:

We paid around $185.00 for the Franklin, not $285. Typo ... Ooops.

Joe
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM

I'll keep my electric one, and just pray we keep electricity!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM

I have two treadles -- A 1941 belonged to my dh's mother and a 1901 27 that belonged to his grandmother. he 1941 is is perfect conditon (head and cabinet; the 1901 is being restored by dh). The cabinet that the 1901 27 is in went throught a flood and is not repairable. Dh and I found another 27 dated 1897 in a cabinet that is in good conditon; just needing some regluing, oiling and cleaning up. That 1901 27 is going to dh's niece in Farmington, New Mexico when restoration is complete.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 PM

I love sewing on my treadle. It sews like a dream and is so quiet. It was our first vintage purchase. Paid too much, maybe, at a tag sale but it was all in working order including the belt. Even our 21 year old grandson asked if he could try sewing something on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Check the Vintage and Antique sewing section on this Board for tons of information about great old sewing machines. They are probably available locally and very durable.