Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: treadle singer sewing machine

treadle singer sewing machine

My husband just rescued my old singer sewing machine with cabinet from our storage shed. After reading all the posts about older machines, I have been impatiently waiting to get it home. Now that I have it, I need to know what to look for to tell if it has more worth than the sentimental memories of have of it. I believe it was my grandmothers, I made a dress with it 40 years ago when I was in high school and it turned out fine. It is a treadle and appears to be in great shape, dusty but all in tact. Any input would be great. I have it protected outside for now and it is dark so I can't identify any markings or writing. Anyone with info on what info I need would be helpful. Thanks !
    groovey

Post some close up photos of the machine. I believe you need to take the machine out of the cabinet and soak it in kerosene. Don't try to run it because it needs to be oiled before parts move. Look through the posts I think you will find tutorials on cleaning the machine.

Blog Entries
    Muv has some charming videos about cleaning the vintage machines - you do not need to soak every old machine you find in kerosene. You do not need to totally dis-assemble every old machine either. Here is a link: HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Please post a pic - someone will help identify your machine
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Pictures would help a lot, but I feel any treadle has value. More so if there is sentimental value too.

Blog Entries
    Yes, photos, please. We can give advice on cleaning, plus tell you exactly what model you have.

When my hubby got his grandmother's Singer Treadle out of the barn after we cleaned it up good he oiled the heck out of it and soaked the belt in oil too! That was 25 years agoand the machine is still running....

I have my mil,treddle that was given to me when she passed, I got to wondering how old it is and I fould the machine number on the base just below the upright arm and it was made in 1933, it really makes a better stitch than my other
    machines.

d.swindle