Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Troubleshooting a boat shuttle >

Troubleshooting a boat shuttle

Troubleshooting a boat shuttle

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Interesting about the differences in ends. Check the shuttle to see if one receptacle is different then the other.
The difference is slight enough I don't believe it was interntional. I tried the bobbin both ways and it didn't seem to matter.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:38 AM

Unthread the bobbin from the shuttle and leave the bobbin in place and flic it with a finger and bobbin should turn freely with no drag. If it feels tight the bobbin is most likely to long or the end will not fit properly in the shuttle.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Unthread the bobbin from the shuttle and leave the bobbin in place and flic it with a finger and bobbin should turn freely with no drag. If it feels tight the bobbin is most likely to long or the end will not fit properly in the shuttle.
OK. No. It doesn't spin when I flick it with my finger. It spins when I pull the thread but there is a little drag on it even when the rest isn't threaded. It's spring loaded and might be a little tight then.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 AM

Yes it seems to be a little tight. Make sure the hole in one of the bobbin ends is facing the rear of the shuttle not the point.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 AM

Yes it seems to be a little tight. Make sure the hole in one of the bobbin ends is facing the rear of the shuttle not the point.
Thank you! I didn't know that.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:03 AM

Put a tiny bit of oil on the spring make sure it is not enough to get on the bobbin and thread
Also on the rear end to. Also when you remove the work pull to the rear and slightly to the left.

Last edited by Glenn; 02-13-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM

When you wind the bobbin with thread the hole in the bobbin end goes to the left on the winder so the little nipple on the winder will fit into the hole. Then when you insert the bobbin in the shuttle the thread will come off the bobbin in the right direction when the hole is to the rear of the shuttle.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 AM

When you wind the bobbin with thread the hole in the bobbin end goes to the left on the winder so the little nipple on the winder will fit into the hole. Then when you insert the bobbin in the shuttle the thread will come off the bobbin in the right direction when the hole is to the rear of the shuttle.
Glenn I had to check but the little nipple on the winder is on the right.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM

I seem to have it pulling better now. I took a bit of very fine grit sandpaper to the ends of the bobbin and then polished them with 600 grit. That seemed to be just enough to help. I am calling it good at this point! I've polished and re-polished and oiled everything!

It feels good to get this little guy sewing again. There were times there where I wasn't so sure it was going to happen.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 AM

Yes it is on the right, I don't know why I said left. Well any way glad you got it sewing and does look like a nice stitch. I love my German machines. I have three of them and they all make a wonderful stitch to. I know what you mean these old ladies can make you pull your hair out but when you get them right they will sew for another 100 years. You did a great job on this.
Skip