Two questions

Old 05-23-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Two questions

What is the cord/pedal combination called? I have to replace all of the wire. I was hoping to find a youtube video that included both pieces in one video. So far, it looks like they do one video for each piece, the controller, the wall plug and the machine plug. Any hints for making it come out right are appreciated in case I don't find one video for all.

The other question is about a screw. This is the screw that attaches the light to the bracket that attaches to the machine. It needs two, and one was missing. The light is bakelite, so I don't want to force it. I also don't want to deal with a droopy light. I emailed sewclassic, but they didn't respond. Any idea how to find a match? Internet searches didn't turn one up. Needless to say, I had no luck at Home Depot and the Hardware store.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1232-red.jpg   dsc_1233red.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Have you taken the screw to a hardware or home improvement store to match it?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Yes, I have been to Lowe's and Home Depot. Our closest hardware store doesn't really carry much hardware, though. I was there yesterday looking for a 1/4 in. box end wrench. They had NO box or open end wrenches. They sell stuff for urban farmers, mostly. I didn't look for the screw, so I'll go back to make sure.

The one good hardware store we used to have has downsized and mostly sells decorative hardware now. Our metro area has 3 million or more people, you'd think there would be one good hardware store here.

bkay
Old 05-23-2017, 04:40 PM

There are speciality stores for screws and tools of all kinds. Find the store that caters for the buisnesses in your area and they will find the correct screw, even make it. There are a few places that have these old parts, Helen Howes in the UK will send you one too.

When you open the three pin plug, make a drawing of the wires and where they go; use colors, there's only two cores in each wire and they go in exactly the same way as the old does. The old trick to make the wires stay inside the plug is to make a knot just large enough to keep them from getting pulled through the hole. You can use shrink tubes to neated the wire ends near the plug if needed.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM

You could try McMaster-Carr online. My husband buys a lot of specialty screws and bolts from them (As well as other stuff. You don't want to see our bills from them)
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 AM

You need a Singer cord set, # SCE123 on the Sew Classic website, $9.99. You need your own plug and foot control, which you have. If you need a new FC, you can buy one from that site, too.

Cindy Peters, at Stitchesintime has used parts for many brands of vintage sewing machines. She's the "Captainette" of Treadleon. If you can't find her with a Google search, get back here and I'll hunt up her email. I might have the screw you need in my stash.....I'll go look after breakfast.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:15 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Surely, I can get the screw with all those leads. Thanks, wintersewer for the info on the cord set.

I have to go to the other side of town again today (last day of volunteering at school), so I'll go back to the OSMG and see if he has the screw. He said yesterday that he has a cabinet full of old screws. (I didn't have my sample.) The only problem with that is he's in the same building with a fabric outlet and I usually end up adding something to my "I Spy" stash.

bkay
Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Your best bet is the OSMG. Sewing machines don't (or didn't back then) use standard sizes of screws. Very doubtful you'll find what you need at a hardware store.

Cari
Old 05-24-2017, 08:50 AM

If you have an OSMG within reach he would be the first to ask, then I would go to the sources on the web. The speciality stores for screws, nuts, bolts, tools, etc. will get you the correct right screw though. They will measure the dimension of the threading, width of the head, note that it screws in flat with the surface, etc.

since you have the plugs and pedal, all you need is a few yards of good quality two core wire.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Ace Hardware tends to have WAY more specialty screws/etc than Lowe's or HD. Give them a try if you have one nearby. (Hey, that might make a nice advertising jingle )