Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Update on my Pfaff 1222E bought at Garage Sale last weekend - a couple of concerns. >

Update on my Pfaff 1222E bought at Garage Sale last weekend - a couple of concerns.

Update on my Pfaff 1222E bought at Garage Sale last weekend - a couple of concerns.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Default Update on my Pfaff 1222E bought at Garage Sale last weekend - a couple of concerns.

I noted in another post that I thought I could epoxy the foot lever back together, but upon taking a closer look, the plastic was cracked going into the guts of the machine.

I found a few replacements online, but they were more than I wanted to spend at this time. So, I took a little epoxy putty (plumbers putty) and fashioned a new lever. It's working great!

The machine was a little surface dirty and the tension was off. It didn't take long to get it cleaned up and making nice stitches.

Today, I used the machine to sew a little jacket. It didn't clog up once! However, the machine seems really slow/hesitant to get started. When I start with the needle down in the cloth or up at the top and give the wheel a little push it still has to work harder than I would expect.

Indeed, the hand turning the wheel is quite difficult. I have arthritis and there isn't much on the wheel to hang onto, so it might just be me, but I'd sure like and opinion from another Pfaff owner on their experience.

Then, when I get the needle going, it sounds like the rhythm is off. Sort of stitch, stitch, stitch, hesitate, stitch, stitch, stitch, hesitate, etc.

Again, the thread stitching itself is solid, it's just the hesitation that that is bothering me. I've never sewn with a walking foot, so perhaps that's normal?

Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 AM

Not normal. I haven't read the older thread recently - what oiling have you done on the machine? Pfaff machines are German built - way tighter tolerances than say a Singer of the same age. They need to be oiled religiously or they're more prone to seize up - or slow down at least. The 1222s that I've serviced purr like kittens - only the IDT is a little noisy.

The other thing is even a balanced stitch if the tension is too tight both top and bottom can make a machine noisy and hard to start.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:30 AM

Thanks for your response AA. The instructions said to only oil the bobbin case. I sure think it sounds like more lubrication is needed. It's making noise in the nose. Getting the top off is no problem, but I haven't figured out how to remove any more of the case than that. What's your advice?

I'm going to try loosening up the tension, top and bottom and see what happens.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM

It could also be in the foot pedal. I had to clean off the wires/contacts and put back together. That really helped mine.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by slowquilts View Post
It could also be in the foot pedal. I had to clean off the wires/contacts and put back together. That really helped mine.
I hadn't thought of that! I'm off to take a look!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:37 AM

It needs lubrication and probably some cleaning. Your instructions tell you to only oil the bobbin case because you're expected to take it to the shop for an annual service where it would be lubricated. On this era of Pfaffs, I believe they used a white (likely lithium) grease which can dry out over time. Some people have reported having to chisel off the dried grease in machines that have sat for a long time. You might want to find the service manual for your machine (I believe it's available in a few different groups--try Yahoo's group Pfaff_fixit or the Facebook group "Vintage Sewing Machines" in the Files of either group). That manual will be helpful on how to disassemble and reassemble. I found the handwheel a little tricky to get back on until I found the manual in order to get the spring installed. Also be aware that the screw that holds on the handwheel is plastic and breaks easily (although you can get replacements, save yourself the $7 and don't over tighten). Clean, oil and lubricate and I'll bet the problem disappears. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Okay. I cleaned further. Did some judicious metal on metal drops of oil and cleaned the foot pedal. Now it's stuck. LOL!

When I manually turn the wheel clockwise (to the back) everything works smoothly. When I manually turn the wheel counterclockwise (toward me), the metal belt with the tracks gets stuck at about a half turn.

When I plug it in and add power, the little rubber belt runs, but the belt with the tracks doesn't run.

If I push the little black device (see photo) toward myself (to the left) and turn the wheel counterclockwise, the catch on the metal track is relieved. [ATTACH=CONFIG]541803[/ATTACH]

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails sewing-2-.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM

That "stitch, hesitate, stitch" movement you describe is exactly like my 1222 moves...so unfortunately I'll bet good money that your camstack is cracked. To be more precise, the crack probably continues on though the camstack to the plastic gear that drives the camstack, transferring motion from the main shaft. I recommend you take off the top cover, and slowly turn machine through a complete revolution of the LEFT SIDE camstack. I think you will find a crack running from the back side of the camstack to the front.

That's not to say your machine doesn't also need cleaning, but my machine was pretty clean (no excess or old grease in the works), and the hesitation every revolution is caused by the crack through the cams and into the drive gear.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw your update on the apparent cause. Hope I'm wrong, but have you ruled out the camstack as the culprit?

Last edited by Borletti Milano; 02-03-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 AM

As NapaJohn said, if you're not going to take it in, you need to be both technician and owner and do the work of both. The owner's manuals are misleading this way (and a big pet peeve of mine because of it).

The nose will come off via a couple of small screws that point downward (only the tops of them will be visible now that you've taken the top off. One close to the front of the nose piece and one close to the back. Loosen but don't remove them both and pull the nose piece off to the left. That will give you access there. For the bottom - you need to take the heavy base off (I don't remember off the top of my head where the motor is mounted, so you may not get the base 100% off but you can pivot it out of the way to do the rest of the oil and greasing.

And yes, check the cam gear. I forgot to mention that. That's what happens when I answer past my bedtime.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM

You are correct! I did find a partial crack in the camstack this morning. For $20 bucks, I'm learning a lot.

Now, I'd like to know what I did to make things worse.

Last edited by greenwillow; 02-03-2016 at 11:07 AM.