Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Updating a machine to sew with non-cotton thread? >

Updating a machine to sew with non-cotton thread?

Updating a machine to sew with non-cotton thread?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
At least she said the guy loved her 401 - so he wasn't telling her it was bad and she should buy a plastic wonder. It did seem like a way to pad the repair bill without doing anything special.

I've had my 328K for 50+ years -- several years ago, my son recommended using polyester thread because it produces less lint! I threaded the machine with polyester thread and never had to make the first adjustment -- I'm sorry -- I guess I'm just skeptical!

Jeanette
Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM

I'm afraid I agree with Jeanette about the thread. And I think that sewing machine guy is trying to cheat the gal out of more money.
I use this and that thread when I test and put together my Whacky bags, and for the life of me I can't tell any difference. The machines just sew right along.

Joe
Old 12-18-2014, 10:54 AM

My 401A takes all threads. Every time I take mine in for service they try to buy it form me. Will never sell it.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
My 401A takes all threads. Every time I take mine in for service they try to buy it form me. Will never sell it.
Those machines are not that hard to service. You can do it yourself, all you need is the owners manual, some brushes, oil and grease.

Joe
Old 12-18-2014, 11:03 AM
sap

He's scamming her, trying to get extra $$$$$$$$$ out of her. Tell her to go talk to someone else, like a different dealer. There isn't anything to add, replace or improve, on that machine.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Anyone ever heard of doing this? been reading on another forum and a woman posted she took her recently acquired 401A to a Singer dealer and while he told her she had a great machine and would love it, he also offered to "update" it so she could use modern thread, as the old machines were made when cotton was all there was. He said it was only $20 to do so, but she didn't know exactly what that entailed.

I'm more interested in what would be replaced/changed than whether it's needed or not. A new style tensioner maybe?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM

I haven't paid much attention to the fiber content of most of the threads I've used except some cotton I bought specifically for quilting. It's been a mix of cotton, poly or poly/cotton blends, all used pretty much interchangeably. I haven't tried any of the silk threads or decorative threads like metallics but for average thread I haven't noticed any problems other than sometimes having to re-adjust the tension when I switch threads but even that isn't all that common. All of my machines seem to do fine with whatever I feed them.
Rodney
Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I have sewn threw 5 layers of denim and DH used it the morning after I got my 401. I think the guy is trying to blow smoke. I would be leery about letting him touch it. The gal and repair people at the local Singer center were amazed I got my machine for what I paid for it. Also let me know that if anyone wanted to do anything different than needed to be done to walk away. I would walk away if I were you.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

One of the gals asked me if I had cleaned my machine yet. I clean it every time I get ready to use it. So easy. I just looked at the YouTube channel. So many people on there with so many tips. Also for my 2662.If it doesn't sound right walk away.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 PM

She contacted me too through a site that shall not be mentioned. I asked her to get clarification as to what they did to "update" it. Here's what the shop said: "basically there is a point on the hook assembly that they file to make it rounder, which will make it smoother to allow the thread to pass over it easier."

Uhhhhh..... that point is pretty important.... and it's important to keep it sharp!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM

Where do people come up with the bogus ideas? What a way to ruin a sewing machine.

Joe