Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Use the 29K58 Patcher Today for Something Other than Playing >

Use the 29K58 Patcher Today for Something Other than Playing

Use the 29K58 Patcher Today for Something Other than Playing

Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Default Use the 29K58 Patcher Today for Something Other than Playing

My pro bono (fancy for "free") canvas work for the local marina is paid by giving me their damaged boat covers and upholstery scraps. I'm making a barbecue grill cover from some of them. In the process of attaching salvaged Sunbrella bias binding to salvaged Sunbrella canvas, I didn't get the aged fabric adequately fed into the binding in a few spots. In addition the aged canvas and binding weathers tough in spots making it difficult for my Reliable 2000U-33 to penetrate. (another story)!

Anyway, to my point. The 29K worked out ideally for patching these missed spots. I ripped binding stitches 1 inch forward and back of the missed area, inserted the fabric into the binding and stitched with the 29K. Worked marvelously. Since my sewing skills are not the best on any machine and this one operates so uniquely and the outcome was so pleasing, I have to share. While I have it out, I'm also attaching the tie-down webbing with it. It is also uniquely suited for this. Some may ask why not use it more. Honestly, I had no idea how handy this machine is for special jobs. Voila! If I'm able I'll attach a few pictures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]473615[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]473616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]473617[/ATTACH]

Edit - I didn't intend to include a picture of the partly finish cover, but since I did I will explain that the binding is not on at the time the picture was taken. Also the webbing tie-downs is intended to stretch the wrinkles from the cover and firmly tighten the fabric around the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails img_0411.jpg   img_0412.jpg   img_0413.jpg   img_0414.jpg   img_0415.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 04-29-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Great job. Those oldie machines can do wonderful jobs.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 AM

What size thread are you using in the Singer 29K58 Patcher for this project? And were you using the same size in the Barracuda?

Also, is your Patcher motorized, or still treadle-operated?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM

Ron,

Even though the 29's were mainly made for shoemaker/harness makers we can sometimes find other practical uses for these old beauties. I was able to refurbish a 1916 29-4 last summer and it was the centerpiece of my collection and not one wanting to part with any of my collection, I sold it to a friend in dire need of such a machine. It sews a beautiful stitch on a 2 ply (1/8" thick a, ply) leather strap. I have a base for one and may look for a head on day.

Rodney in Ponchatoula, La.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM

CD, I used V-69 in both machines. The Reliable balked when it hit a seasoned binding and hem. That would be 5+3 plys Sunbrella. Often, it would negotiate the 8 plys if I had a good head of steam, but, balked at the "seasoned" areas. I was using a 16 sharp 137 needle. I even changed needles and passing thought of using beeswax, but you know how it is, I was in the zone and refused to vary. The 29 didn't even balk at the binding and hem areas. I was actually hand operating the 29 as the areas of stitching where very short areas.

The webbing I attached was polypropylene with a web on each side of the the Sunbrella. The 29 sailed through the stitching. I actually treadled the long side runs on the webbing but hand wheeled the cross stitching.

Why do you ask? Do you think the Reliable should do as powerful stitching as the 29?

Edit - BTW the Reliable has the monster wheel so with a head of steam it will negotiate many layers. But, with the binding around corners there was a lot of stop and go.

Last edited by Vridar; 04-29-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
...I sold it to a friend in dire need of such a machine.
Rodney in Ponchatoula, La. ...
That had to be a good friend. I'm like Charlton Heston, they will have to pry the 29 out of my cold dead hands.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM

I'm impressed.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
I'm impressed.
GreyQ, thanks, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. These vintage machines are fun to acquire, clean, and use. Very addicting, though!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
CD, I used V-69 in both machines....Why do you ask?
Thanks. I’m hooked on T90 (V-92, B92) thread (size 18 needle) and use it in several of my heavy machines (29K70, 31-15, 111W, 111G, 225). It makes life easier (and cheaper) to use the same thread in several machines when I can, and I was curious if that was your thread size on this project. I’ve been looking at the Barracuda and similar machines, and you’re the first one that I’ve seen using one, so I thought I’d ask how it worked with T90.

I don’t think that the Barracuda will have the same punching power as the 29K, and that will probably show up more as the needle size increases.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM

CD, I've used V-92 but, like you, for economy I can use the 69 in my other machines. I do have some 92 around here but not in all colors, so I just load up the 69 for most uses. Yes, the Reliable will handle the 92 according to Sailrite, which sells the same machine, albeit, more refined.