Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it. >

The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it.

The USPS is on a vidictive binge ... at least it looks like it.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sassey View Post
I know some one that worked at Christmas time for UPS he told me to never mark a package fragile because there were some that worked there that felt it was there job to actually throw hard anything marked fragile. they calaimed they didnt have time to be careful
Sassey, if you weren't in KC, I'd say "Oh! You know Jerry too?" My friend Jerry who works for UPS, told me once that marking a package "Fragile" was like waving a red flag and challenging workers...
Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 PM

i llive far out in the rural sticks ...and i trust ups and fed express guys a whole lot more than i do the regular postman...first of all, they dont give a fig for what they are delivering and they also dont pay much attention to getting it in the right mailbox...if i am expecting a package i make sure some one is home to receive it and open it before letting the mailman out of sight...i have been known over the last twenty years or so to not hesitate going to town and having it out with the post master.. sadly, it is darn near impossible to get a postal worker fired for poor service.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I just received a Singer machine motor from another forum member. Or I should perhaps say, I received what was left of a Singer machine motor.
It arrived in a small cardboard box that was wadded up, mutilated, holed and taped up, and crushed.
The cast iron motor mount attached to the motor was broken, sheared off where it transitions from the motor to the pilar. The brush caps, both of them, are shattered. The rest of the motor looks to have survived but without the brush caps is dead on arrival.

The sender packed it in bubble wrap and that should have been sufficient. But with the USPS closing down many of the sorting stations it's my theory those that are still open are so overworked that they no longer care about what they are doing and simply throw the things around as fast as they can to get them moved along.

I don't know what to do about this, we didn't put insurance on it, and you know the management at the USPS will claim it wasn't packaged good enough. Pass the buck, blame anybody, never accept the responsibility.

Basically I posted this to let everyone know that when you ship something you need to over pack it.
When you think you have it packaged good enough, put two more layers on it.
Maybe even three.

I think this is going to be a really crappy week.

Joe
I feel for you. Don't try to recover any damages even if you do have insurance. I sent a box to my daughter-in-law with many new items for her and her husband. The box never got there. I had it insured for two hundred dollars. That was almost a year ago. I filed several claims with the post master general, but never was paid. It was a total loss to me. I had more than two hundred dollars worth of goods in the box but figured if I insured it , it would be sure to get there....WRONG......I also sent my grand-daughter a gift card in a card and it never got there.
I don't send anything by USPS that I want to be sure it arrives. I go with UPS. So far they have got things to where I send them in one piece. Sorry to ramble on but it just angers me....No wonder the postal system is going belly up.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I don't know what to do about this, we didn't put insurance on it, and you know the management at the USPS will claim it wasn't packaged good enough. Pass the buck, blame anybody, never accept the responsibility.

Basically I posted this to let everyone know that when you ship something you need to over pack it.
When you think you have it packaged good enough, put two more layers on it.
Maybe even three.

Joe
The post office and other delivery services may be incompetent sometimes and screw up, but I still don't believe that they can tear the addressee's mailing labels off of packages, lose them yet manage to return it to the original owner over and over again. At least you GOT a package and know it was sent. I don't believe mine was ever sent altho this person keeps telling me that I should have it. I can't have something that was never sent. I want proof it was mailed.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Misty, that sounds like a familiar song....
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Ignorance is a bitter teacher. When one don't know what one is doing, one shouldn't trust everything they hear about how knowlegable and good someone is. Another thing is that when one has e-mailed for a while, that doesn't mean that you know the person, no matter what they have told you on a personal level. Some promises aren't worth the e-mail or PM they are written on. I guess am not alone in getting taking advantage of. Mama always told me there's no fool like an old fool.
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Misty, that sounds like a familiar song....