Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Value of our Precision Deluxe Stitchmatic Electric Sewing Machine? >

Value of our Precision Deluxe Stitchmatic Electric Sewing Machine?

Value of our Precision Deluxe Stitchmatic Electric Sewing Machine?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:37 PM

Default Value of our Precision Deluxe Stitchmatic Electric Sewing Machine?

Here is a picture of a very similar one, about the same condition except ours has a frayed wire the was taped together with electric tape. We picked it up at the thrift store for $40 with the table, but just want to sell the machine for now. I cant find a comparable on ebay. Anyone have any ideas?

I posted this on Reddit and was directed here. Thank you for any help

The serial number is J-A5 s 79804
Old 06-17-2015, 02:57 AM

I'd say $20 - maybe less since it needs to be rewired. It's a japanese made Singer 15 clone. The one in the picture is in rather nice condition - and condition is very important. You say your is "about" the same - but without a picture, there is no way to adequately compare. Some owners have no idea what to look for, and will think a poor condition machine worth $10 is "about" the same as a nice condition machine worth $50. Or they don't realize there's is missing part of the bobbin winder, or like you said, wires are bad and that is a BIG thing as most people don't want to have to rewire and consider that a big detractor.

BTW- if you are not finding a comparable on eBay - you are searching incorrectly. These types are on eBay all the time. It may be under a different name (they were sold under a lot of names). It's only the color that makes them less common, most are black. Search "precision deluxe sewing" and leave the name out. Also, if you hope to get eBay prices - sell on eBay.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 AM

Good answer, Macybaby.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-17-2015, 05:36 AM

Cathy's so right about the eBay thing. If you are trying to figure out a selling price by comparing to a machine on eBay you have to check the "completed" listings to see what an item actually sold for--not what some dreamer is asking and hoping to sell for. You have to be completely honest with yourself about the condition of your machine. Machines that sell for the most are in beautiful condition, no paint chips, clean, serviced, wiring all good, stitch samples are perfect, you have the manual, all accessories, etc.

Sellers on eBay are making their machine available to a huge market and have a better chance of finding a buyer who wants that particular machine or perhaps two that will bid against each other and drive the price up--however, eBay will take a cut of the profit, paypal will take a cut of the profit, and they will be most likely needing to ship the machine which is a tricky business to wrap one correctly and have it arrive in good condition.

If you not selling on eBay, you may have a MUCH smaller market which means the machine will sell for much less. You'll need to price it accordingly.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM

The most I would pay for any Japanese made machine (with only a few rare examples) is $50. For that I would expect the machine and case to both be in top condition. They're just too common to have any real collector value.
If I don't see one at a price I want today all I have to do is wait and another one at a price I do like will show up.

Prices on old sewing machines are low for good reasons. The supply far exceeds the demand on common models.
Japanese 15 clones were made by the millions after WWII.

For people that have already bought a couple machines condition becomes very important both cosmetically and functionally. I've only been doing this for a little over a year. I have over 20 machines. If I want a project I don't need to leave the house. I've got plenty already.
Rodney
Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If I want a project I don't need to leave the house. I've got plenty already.
Rodney
That is a wonderful quote! I'm going to try to remember that the next time I'm tempted to buy more fabric!

I figured I could aim at fixing up one machine a month. Since I've got about 100 of them, that will be like almost 10 years worth of work already lined up. That would take me up to retirement - than I can sell them all and do something completely different LOL.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Cathy,

Yay on your retirement! LOL! I just wish I had been able to "retire" when I was ableto do something I enjoyed -- like working on these old machines, etc. Unfortunately, I will be 70 in a couple of days and I'm not getting any younger. I'd be happy to be pain free, or at least mostly pain free! LOL

Jeanette
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Jeanette - a lot can happen between now and when I hit retirement age - one never knows. . . my husband and I decided 15 years ago that we'd do what we wanted and not wait until we retired - and the interesting thing, after doing it for 15 years, we're ready to move on to something else. The best part, we did it while we were still young and able enough - now that we are older we're finding this lifestyle is getting harder and harder to deal with.

But I do have enough sewing machines and other projects to see me through for a long time to come. The problem is it's so much fun to acquire more! Owning isn't the fun part - finding and buying is!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 PM

Never had any idea about vintage machine collecting for many years after retiring but now all these machines are finding me. More worried about what will happen to them in 10 yrs. At times health and other people control your retirement time so Macybaby you are right to do what you want now.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM

Oh, Cathy, I am so proud of what you have done -- with your collections and your musuem. I think it's terriffic! I was teasing you a little bit - I certainly didn't mean anything but good fun. I'm happy for you that you're doing all this stuff now! Of course, I'm quite a bit older than you and your DH are. Added to which, I lost my husband in May of 2004, which put paid to a lot of things we had wanted to do. The only thing I can do is quit worrying about those things I'm not physically able to do and concentrate on the things I can do, treasure each day God gives us. There are no guarantees for tomorrow other than what the Lord has promised us!

I think your Machine Shed/Museum is wonderful and I admire what you have done there!

Jeanette