Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Brother Pacesetter FZ-2 >

Vintage Brother Pacesetter FZ-2

Vintage Brother Pacesetter FZ-2

Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 PM

Default Vintage Brother Pacesetter FZ-2

Ran onto this machine on Fri at a 'variety' store. He wanted $15 for it. The handwheel would not turn, but the motor tried to run when pushing on foot ctl. I usually just buy black machines, but liked the small size of this and it also reminds me of an Elna grasshopper. I found thread jammed behind the bobbin area. I printed a manual off of yahoo vintagejapansewingmachines group. Got the thread removed then found it wouldn't pickup the bobbin thread. It was out of time. Managed to figure that out and now it sews a nice stitch & is very quiet. Haven't been able to turn the dial for the fancy stitches yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522464[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0023.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned

What a find. This is the Holy Grail of Brother machines. Be sure to read the manual thoroughly on the proper way to use the wishing dial. I'm not home to look it up and I haven't used mine for about a year but you're supposed to hold one of the levers down and I *think* pull out on the dial to turn it. I can't remember exactly. You would think I'd know this by now as long as I've had this machine. BTW, I'm the one who put the service manual up on the VintageJapanese Yahoo group. It's got some complicated innards what with two sets of cams etc....

Cari
Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 AM

Congratulations....I love that blue! And the price ain't bad either! Brother machines are my very favorite.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:56 AM

Great get! I got to see Cari's. She brought hers to our first get together here. They're neat little machines. To me it's as good or better than finding a $15 Featherweight. Probably better. There's a lot less of the Brother machines around.
Rodney
Old 06-16-2015, 05:37 AM

Thanks for posting the manual. I needed it to thread the bobbin first thing. It says to push the knob in & turn for fancy stitches and have a couple of dials set to 0. I can only turn 3 stitches to the left and 1 to the right. I'm not thru playing with it! Wish I had the accessory table to go with it.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:38 AM

What a CUTE little machine! And you got quite the deal on it too. How cool! It almost looks like a toy!

I love thrift/charity/junk shops. You just never know what treasures you're going to find!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
Thanks for posting the manual. I needed it to thread the bobbin first thing. It says to push the knob in & turn for fancy stitches and have a couple of dials set to 0. I can only turn 3 stitches to the left and 1 to the right. I'm not thru playing with it! Wish I had the accessory table to go with it.
The service manual should help you get it working. Like I said, it's a complicated lil' thing. Very fun to use. I've even used mine like a post machine to repair jeans.
I have the extension table but I don't have the original straight stitch foot, oil bottle or case.

Cari
Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Very cool machine! Love the custom suitcase; the handle color makes me think it's also the original. Button style, metal case foot controller kinda looks like it would fit into the brackets of a singer cabinet too. Never saw anything like it. Great find and price; certainly one to add to my wish list.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

Yes that's the original case. I wish I had the case for mine. Mine came to me in a Pfaff case but I did get the accessory box cut from the original case. Hmm, never thought about trying the controller in a Singer bracket. It is about the same size. I suppose I could set the machine on top of the cabinet and try it, I love using a knee lever. I usually just put my FZ2 in one of those old generic free arm tables.

Cari
Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 AM

what a little treasure! this is one of the few post 1950 machines I have an interest in. It's a short list, the White "Fair Lady" 763 and 764 ( have 2 764's but I'm still looking for a reasonably priced 763), Brother Pacesetter free arm, and a Lady Kenmore 89... I occasionally find an 89 but they usually want a not so small fortune for them.