Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

I fiddled with an Electro Grand Japanese badged with cams (cams missing) Some of it is not intuitive. There is a zig zag dial on the front either doesn't work right or I am missing something. I'm sure someone here will know. The machine was not turning. I started oiling and came to the nose area - there was thread wrapped around the some of the moving parts or not so moving parts. I got the thread and a ton of lint out and the machine turns nice. Then it was missing the bobbin case and the needle clamp so I dug through parts and fixed that. I set the tensions and the machine stitches a nice stitch. I also had to free up the feed dog drop & buttons. Now I need to figure out how the cams and zz work. What is B - A - M ??? it has to do with the cams but nothing stands out at me on this machine. The zz dial side levers seem to be a bit gooey inside, too. There is a cam in there but the stitch did not resemble the cam at all. The cam is seated as far as that goes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451281[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails electro-001.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

Front view of Electro Grand:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails electro-003.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Can't help with your problem other than to give your machine a name. Bambi. LOL
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Maybe someone here can help - I talked to my daughter this evening. She was given a Dressmaker machine. labeled Standard Sewing Equipment Corp., New York Yamazaki S. M. CO LTD, Osaka, Japan. The model number is SWM-1000, serial #21219. She would like to get any information possible, as there is no manual. She mentioned a lever that looks like it moves the needle position. I am wondering if this would be a zigzag machine.

Editted: She discovered there is no bobbin in the bobbin case. Any idea the type that might work?

Last edited by Quilt Mom; 12-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 AM

A picture would help. The sewing machine will take a class 15 bobbin.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
Maybe someone here can help - I talked to my daughter this evening. She was given a Dressmaker machine. labeled Standard Sewing Equipment Corp., New York Yamazaki S. M. CO LTD, Osaka, Japan. The model number is SWM-1000, serial #21219. She would like to get any information possible, as there is no manual. She mentioned a lever that looks like it moves the needle position. I am wondering if this would be a zigzag machine.

Editted: She discovered there is no bobbin in the bobbin case. Any idea the type that might work?
Here is a link to one that was sold on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-V...p2047675.l2557

It is a zigzag machine, but I don't see any lever that would adjust the needle position.

As for a manual, here is a link to a manual for a Dressmaker SWA-2000 that looks just like it, and would likely work for your daughter's machine.
http://www.sewingmanuals.com/Sewing_...ess_2000i1.jpg

Last edited by mlmack; 12-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Front view of Electro Grand:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451282[/ATTACH]

cant cut & paste on phone very well, will later. Brother had a "B" button, which it needed to be in to change stitch selector. maybe...
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM

have you found a manuel for this one? I j ust got one too, mine is a model "J" and I cant figure out how to thread it..............any help would really be appreicated .....this one is a dark brown/burgandy color........
Originally Posted by sap View Post
right now I'm working on a Free Westinghouse, its black n the wiring is baaaad can't even try it out the shape it's in. I was wondering if it was clone or made in Japan. In the next few days I'll try to post picture of it.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM

I just got one of these....so pretty....but terrible wires, exposed wires in three places.....beat up case.....but I sure do like the color and cant wait until I can actually sew with it.......did you find a manuel anywhere?

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a pink Atlas with the same decals as your pink Brother. Mine is very heavy. I've seen one very much the same but light weight. Go figure.