Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Elite zz

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I forgot to mention it is a very solid and appealing looking machine... to bad about the "pin rash" type damage on the pillar, she appears almost pristine other than that.
Aside from the pin rash, it looks like it's never been used! I've gone through it, and there's no old thread, or fabric junk anywhere.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Welcome. Neat looking machine. What's behind the bulge in the nose?

Sanshin would be the manufacturer. Japanese companies would put any brand the buyer wanted on their machines as long as they bought enough of them. That or leave the brand off and the buyer would put their own brand on. It could go either way. It's common to find several different brands on what is basically the same machine. The belt might be a replacement. I want to say Alphasew is still around. It's also possible the belt is original. Either way I wouldn't go by what it says for machine ID purposes. I think I read that there used to be a high tax on importing motors here, also not every country uses 120VAC as the standard voltage. Sewing machine companies would ship the machines without motors and install them where the machine was to be sold.

Japanese companies made a lot of Singer 15 clones. A lot of Japanese machines are descended from those Singer 15 copies. Your machine uses basically the same bobbin/hook assembly as a Singer 15 but the rest has been changed.
Rodney
Behind the bulge is the light!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by surelyujest71 View Post
(in response to a post from a yr ago - then I discovered other's had already posted much of what I had to say here. Ah, well.)

I know that machine! My own vintage machine is a SewMor 900 Zig Zag. Every detail is exactly the same, aside from the badge on the front. I picked mine up at Goodwill a couple years back for $10. I only just started using it, though! I had the hardest time getting my mom to teach me anything about it - she always had other things she wanted to do while visiting. So, I've oiled it, and found out what I could about it. For this machine, parts were apparently sourced from multiple countries in Asia, but the motor itself was from Belgium. And.... that's all I could find out. That, and the original sewing machine manual for the machine! So if you haven't found the correct manual for yours yet, I'll gladly email copies of it out. For comparison's sake, I'm including a photo of my machine. I had to replace the belts - the drive belt worked, but was showing it's age, but the bobbin winder tire was just missing. Good thing this machine takes the standard "singer" belts. She runs beautifully, and quietly, too. Forgive the surrounding mess - I've got her set up on the dining table, for the moment.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523571[/ATTACH]
I would love a copy of the manual, thank you!! [email protected].
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Midgetty View Post
Aside from the pin rash, it looks like it's never been used! I've gone through it, and there's no old thread, or fabric junk anywhere.
That "pin rash" actually looks more like controller damage. I've got a couple machines that look like that.

Cari
Old 08-02-2015, 04:02 AM

Default J-A 5 & J-C 16 Model 1620 B.I.C.

This machine currently isn't in working condition and doesn't have a "badge" on the arm .. so hopefully okay to post here. It had a Brother motor on it, but that is currently on a Singer 319W. The switch for the light is broken off and the thread tension is a kludged assembly which is not connected in any way to the presser foot lifter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526667[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]526668[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]526669[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]526670[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]526671[/ATTACH]

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails 2014_1127-model1620.jpg   j-a5_j-c16-nose.jpg   2014_1126spoolpin.jpg   bictension-inside.jpg   bic-1620-pillar-badge.jpg  

Old 08-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Neat machine! Great colors and nice details like the rocker "switch" to control the feed dog height. I know I've seen those Vs on the knobs elsewhere. The Brother I'm messing with right now has a movable spool pin holder too but it's a little different than yours.
Rodney
Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Janey that is a Brother built machine. It was probably badged with another name. It looks exactly like a Home Mark machine that recently sold on Ebay for an obscene amount of money. The spool pin design is common for machines that are twin needle capable and came with a pack of twin needles. It's a later 1950's machine. A replacement tension and light switch shouldn't be too hard to find. Unless it's been dropped in a previous life it should be a good machine.

Cari
Old 08-03-2015, 06:12 AM

Thank you, Cari. I don't know if we will actually get this one back operational. We kind of figured the light switch shouldn't be too hard to fix/replace. I had wondered about the thread tension assembly. Would any Brother tension work? After looking again to take the picture of the tension that is on there, I did NOT see any parts that would connect to release the tension when the presser foot was raised. I guess one could just remember to set tension to -0- when lifting presser foot -- kind of like the tension releaser on the early Singer 27's. I haven't ever taken anything OUT or OFF of the inside nose area.

Do you have any theories about J-A & J-C designations.... Some seem to be engraved or embossed in the base, some are on the Serial Number plate and others seem to be "printed" somewhere else. I'm wondering if one is for the manufacturer and then the other is for who the manufacture is making them for.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-03-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Here's a machine being parted out-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-brot...item232db4087b

The tension assembly isn't an exact match to what was originally on your machine but it should work. There isn't a connection, per se, between the presser foot lifter and the upper tension assembly. The "hump" on the part of the lifter that's inside the machine pushes against a pin that runs through the center of the tension assembly when the lever is lifted. That pin releases the tension discs. What's on the machine now has a bolt running through it instead.
I don't have any idea about the numbers, letters or symbols cast into machines. Certain ones are known to be from a particular manufacturer, others are just guesses. We really have no way to search out the facts when it comes to Japanese machines. The best we can do is compare known machines to try to figure out the unknown ones.
For the Penncrest machine, I knew by looking at it that it wasn't a Brother machine, and of all the badges I know Brother used(I certainly don't know them all but I know more than 20) I know Penncrest wasn't one of them.

Cari
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM

Default McKee's - Dressmaker Standard

Hello all,

Here's another badged Japanese from the fifties'. It has a 1.5 amp made in USA motor. It sews a good stitch. It weighs 34 lbs. And it has an all steel/bronze drive train.

Soman2

T O Rodney