Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

irish rose,

I have a ZZ machine with very similar lines, I think I posted it earlier in this thread. It's my American Home machine.
    I also have several of those foot controllers. They are one of my favorite designs. Very comfortable and responsive. MUCH better than the little button one Singer made for so long.
    The heating comes from the resistance unit doing it's job. When you run the machine fast the resistance is low to allow full voltage to the motor. When you run it slow the resistance is high to reduce the voltage. The voltage has to go somewhere so it's turned into heat by the wire coils around the ceramic block and dissipated.
    You have a PM on the way.

Joe

Blog Entries
    The sticker is gone. It detracted from the elegance of that machine.

Blog Entries
    I got a Brother all cleaned up and he works real nice - centered needle, too!!! I love the color.
    Name:  12-14-12 005.JPG
Views: 1143
Size:  131.6 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Name:  251990_4152152404579_744156016_n.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  51.7 KB
    I think this is the only one I have though there may be others. I have a White identical except for the color to one posted earlier, and I have a Dressmaker Zig Zag but not sure if its a Japanese or not. I honestly bought it for the cabinet and havent given it a second look. I've also got a 15 clone Admiral made in Occupied Japan but its a straight stitch only.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Name:  251990_4152152404579_744156016_n.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  51.7 KB
    I think this is the only one I have though there may be others. I have a White identical except for the color to one posted earlier, and I have a Dressmaker Zig Zag but not sure if its a Japanese or not. I honestly bought it for the cabinet and havent given it a second look. I've also got a 15 clone Admiral made in Occupied Japan but its a straight stitch only.
    I think if you poke and prod and play with those machines you will like them. Is that Lenco a dedicated left hand needle position when it straight sews? Don't you just love the funny lines of that machine? Looks like the feed dogs drop for FM. The Dressmaker will be Japanese and may be a good machine that will hem all your jeans.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Hello,
    I'm new to your forum. I sew & stuff fabric teddy bears for the hospital axillary to give to whomever needs a hug. The bobbin winder unit on my trusty Singer 1425N sewingName:  P1030510 (Large).JPG
Views: 1681
Size:  114.4 KB machine quit working. I purchased this Majestic brand sewing machine at a local resale shop. I'm trying to get it in good working condition. It sews a straight stitch and a ZZ stitch, which is all I want. I think very little interior cleaning is required, although the exterior is somewhat nicked. I really like the cover case as it is made from wood, but in sad shape. Any tips on cleaning the cover? Also, is it normal for the motor of a machine that has probably sat unused for a long period of time to emit smoke? Do you think this will stop after a while? It's somewhat scarey, but I'd like to keep this heavy gal. There are no plastic parts that I can see. No owners manual was included, but thankfully it was still threaded.
    Thank you,
    Kathleen (kskate)

Kathleen,

The Japanese machines like this are pretty stout machines. Pull off the top, usually two screws and oil everything that moves or looks like it should move. "Gently" move all the controls as you do the oiling, don't force anything. Make sure the underside is clean and oiled as well.
    I recommend Tri-FLow oil.

The motor may have a small hole on each end just above the end bushings for oil, if so give it a couple drops of oil, but not too much. Then release the stop motion knob and run the motor a full speed till it cleans itself out. You'll hear the motor sound change as the oil and debris burn off of the commutator.
    It is fairly common for them to smoke a bit when first run after sitting a while.
    I use regular sewing machine or small motor oil in motors.

For a manual you might try: { http://sewusa.com/index.htm } or { http://www.tias.com/stores/relics/ }

Joe

Oh, thank you! I now know I won't need to call the fire department if it smokes some. LOL I need to oil the machine, but just HAD to see if it even worked, & sewed a little on a scrap of material, the needle broke and then saw some smoke issuing from the motor, so I immediately stopped everything! Thanks again.
    Kathleen

Oh, me too me too...

Made by Riccar

Name:  riccar_sm.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  riccar 2_sm.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  67.1 KB

Blog Entries
    That Ricar looks like a muscle machine!!!
    I love the looks of the Majestic - it looks like an old well loved car dash board. Nicks and scratches just add character - probably better than one that hasn't been used. Just do like Joe says and oil the inside parts that move. Triflow is the best.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast